Our aim for the new version is, as far as possible, to support the new and recently added functions of the current Joomla! Version 3.9 and to integrate them into jDownloads. But it was also necessary to remove or change some of the older parts of jDownloads. This means that version 3.9 will not be backwards compatible with version 3.2. More detailed information will be available step by step in the next few days in the jDownloads 3.9 documentation. One of these is a guide to the simple steps in upgrading an existing 3.2 installation to the new version 3.9. It is an upgrade not a migration!
Developers whose Joomla extensions support jDownloads in any way, or have developed their own plugins or modules for this purpose, will need to rework their extensions a little bit to be compatible with jDownloads 3.9.
But please note that this is a beta release and there is a risk that it contains bugs. So please test it on a staging site and not your live site. If you don’t have a test environment, you can use the tutorial here (opens in a new tab/window) to create one.
If you find and report a bug (opens in a new tab/window), we aim to fix it as quickly as possible. This will be helped when reporting a bug by giving relevant details so we are able to reproduce the problem.
New major features in version 3.9
- The same look and feel for the downloads and categories as the articles and categories in Joomla!
- Uses the Joomla! style Options in place of the Configuration
- The same search, filtering and sort methods as the core extensions in Joomla!
- Newly designed backend control panel with more information together with quick and easy data access
- Reworked and faster monitoring tool with many new options in the jDownloads control panel
- Support for Joomla field groups and fields in jDownloads (replaced the prior used custom fields)
- New multilingual association function directly in jDownloads
- Enhanced support for single user access to Downloads
- Support for Joomla! User Actions Log function
- Optional inquiry form for users to complete before downloading
- and much more