News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Public categories not accessible in 4.0.29 /error after update to 4.0.31[SOLVED]

Started by mj_jdl, 27.09.2023 22:27:16

Previous topic - Next topic

mj_jdl

Meanwhile I'm getting closer to the core of the behavior:

- If a link to all categories "index.php?option=com_jdownloads&view=categories" is present in any of the menus with access level *PUBLIC*, then links to single public categories, e.g. "index.php?option=com_jdownloads&view=category&catid=4" will work as expected for visitors (not logged in)

See https://beta.iasev.de/index.php/de/
catid=4 points to https://beta.iasev.de/index.php/de/publikationen/category/4-pub

This works even on the /en/ version of the site, even if the all categories link isn't shown there. ;-)

And it even works when I move the all categories link to the hidden original Joomla! main menu (overridden by the lang specific main menus)!!! ;-)

- If no such link is present, the single category links fails with 404 as shown above for visitors
  •  

mj_jdl

4.0.33 is installed on beta, 4.0.29 on the main site. Both show the same strange behavior. The intermediate error in .31 was fixed, yes.
But I'm still at a loss with the original problem.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Site seems OK but you say if you change from a jD 'List All Categories' to say  a 'Single Category' menu item the site behaves incorrectly.

Do you have another jD 'List All Categories' menu item elsewhere as jD always needs a 'List All Categories' menu item.  Usually I set this one to be a hidden menu item   (In the Link Type tab set option 'Display in Menu' to No)
Colin
Colin M
  •  

mj_jdl

Thanks, yes, if there's no "list all categories" in the menu system and the current access level then "single category" will fail.
The "list all categories" menu item can be invisible, but must be enabled (green tick mark).
For members already logged in, this isn't a problem, because a separate members menu will always contain the "list all categories" item.
Ok, so for now I have that work-around. But IMHO this really is a bug in jD, isn't it?
  •  

ColinM

Hi
This is not a workaround!  jD uses the List All Categories menu item as a 'navigation aid'. A suitable message about the need for the menu item is given when jD is first installed. 
jD has been using this approach since the very early days of Joomla. No doubt if jD was started afresh today a different scheme could be used.

Colin
Colin M
  •