News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Create Downloads that can be viewed Publicly but you must register to download.

Started by DavidLezette, 10.03.2016 18:21:38

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidLezette

I am having trouble creating a new user group that will allow someone to download certain files in categories that are "gated". As in, you can view the download title and description, but you need to register in order to download. 

I have read the documentation here ( http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/controlled-access-to-categories-and-downloads ) but I am failing to understand. 

I have a login module that allows people to register but it automatically assigns them to the "registered" user group. How can I assign users who register to a different user group say for instance a custom one named "Registered Downloader". 

If I change the permissions on each file that I want gated to "registered" and I use the login form, it works just fine. However, the "registered" user group is what we use internally for employees to login and see new material before it is published. Material that we do not want "Registered Downloaders" to see. 

Please, can someone help point me in the right direction? Thanks!
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I will try to help.  The scheme you have is slightly challenging as normally I would recommend that the UG "Registered Downloaders" has Registered as its Parent.  But that would mean users in "Registered Downloaders" are also members of Registered, even if you had not ticked the Registered Ug when you created such users.

The above sounds a bit strange until one appreciates that Joomla! permissions include membership of the Parent UG, the grand parent UG, and so on.

So you need to make UG "Registered Downloaders" have a different Parent.  We cannot use Editor, Author or Publisher as they have Registered as a forefather.  So make the Guest UG the Parent of "Registered Downloaders".  (Using Guest is better than Public as it will Inherit Login capabilities and aviod you having to change Global Permissions.)

Now when a member of "Registered Downloaders" looggs in they will only have permission to download from Categories that have given "Registered Downloaders" UG Download Permission.

So Now I assume you have two top level Categories  - one called say NewEmployee and the other called Downloaders.  First ensure that all Permissions for All UGs in the jD Component Permissions are set to Inherit - get to these by using the Options button on the jD Control Panel tool bar.  At this juncture no one except Super Users can download.

Now go to category NewEmployee and set the Permissions for the Registered UG to Allowed.  Leave all others at Inherited, please avoid using Deny.  Also set the view Access to Registered.  This means that only members of the Registered UG can see the Downloads.

Next create a View Access Level called say Registered Downloaders with the Registered Downloaders UG as its only member.  Next go to Cat Downloaders and set UG Registered Downloaders permission to Alloweed. Again leave all others at Inherited.  Also set the view Access to Registered Downloaders.  So now only members of UG Registered Downloaders can see the relevant Downloads.

Colin
PS if you have various permissions set up when trying to resolve then you could use the jD Permission Reset tools to get back to a known state.

Colin M
  •