News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Set a J! group for a user directly in edit form

Started by Dode, 16.09.2015 15:21:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Dode

Hello again,
In the "Edit Download" form, it would be great to have a way to change / add a permission group for the uploader, directly. Let me know what you think.
  •  

ColinM

Dode
It would be nice but adding permission groups is non trivial.  There are so many chances of error for all the different situations.

I think a better idea is having a more graphically based view of the Categories/User Groups set up to make it clearer like that shown in the debug reports

Colin
Colin M
  •  

Dode

Ok, then could it be possible to have a way to directly edit the uploader (in J! native component) from the Edit Download form (Publishing Options where the uploader is stated) ?
The idea is to simply add a user to a priviliged group when he had uploaded a file (validated), without fiddling aroung other J! components.
  •  

ColinM

Hi Dode
Think we might have a loop here!  The user has to belong to a privileged group in order to upload!
Maybe I am misunderstanding
Colin
Colin M
  •  

Dode

Quote from: ColinM on 16.09.2015 20:39:45The user has to belong to a privileged group in order to upload!
Not necessarily ;-) .
On my website, any registered user can upload, but not download, untill added to a specific group called Sono.
Let me explain this specific case.
We are dealing with a sound library, where you'll be able to download files only after you have uploaded a sound which  needs to be reviewed / validated by the website team (Admin group). The team have specific permissions to use JD in the backend, to review / validate these new uploaded sounds. I would love to allow my team to simply add an uploader to the Sono group (if not already in) without leaving JD backend. As i would love to allow my team to automatically send an e-mail (article based for example) to tell the uploader its sound has been accepted / rejected (actually done via Phoca Email which is far from perfect in this area, beacause based on Username instead of Name which is problematic).
See http://www.sounddesigners.org/sonotheque.html and you'll get an idea of what i'm talking about.
I know its a specific use, but JD is so rich and flexible that this should be feasable IMHO.
FYI, we are getting like 10 new uploads / day, so we need something efficient and simple (all in one).

Simply allowing to directly edit a user in J! native component from inside JD backend will be a nice improvment in that area.
  •  

ColinM

OK I see what you mean.  It would certainly aid your work and like your email on publishing suggestion would add to your 'community'

It is rather spe***ed and would involve noticeable effort.  Have asked Arno for his views.

Incidentally of your 4 suggestions which would you rate as the highest?

Colin
Colin M
  •  

Dode

In order of importance (for me) :

1/ display of Username in Edit form, and wherever it should be displayed, honouring the setting in configuration
2/ renaming of images in the same way as main file and preview
3/ a way to directly edit the user (/ its permissions) directly in edit form
4/ the mail thing (see topic)

Of course, nothing is crucial (except maybe the Username), so Arno should do whatever HE thinks is important or not.

Dorian.
  •  

Arno

Hi Dorian,
sorry but i can not understand what you will do here exactly...
You will with a new jD function add a user to another user group?
This seem for me to be a very special functionality. Is this useful for other users?
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Dode

Yes, this is the idea.
But don't bother, i realize it's a very specific function (that's why i posted it in "feature request" ;-) ).

But just to have a "link"  to edit the user (Username ;-) ) in the "Edit Form" would just be great, anymway.
  •