News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

iOS device problems with jdownloads

Started by kerbna83, 02.08.2015 08:56:24

Previous topic - Next topic

kerbna83

Hello,

About a month ago I was having problems with jdownloads on my two domains on a PC and Mac. But those issues were resolved once I updated Chrome and the other browsers I was using, however it didn't resolve the issue with iOS.

I've tried many things on my ipad and iphone but I just can't seem to get all the downloads to open. I get in safari "Safari cannot open the page because the network connection was lost" and in Chrome I get an Err_Mismatch message.

The files are not large. And I have tested other websites with larger files and they open fine in my iphone and ipad.

Please help me~ Here is the link to two files from two of my domains that are having issues:

http://www.kkfsc3.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&task=download.send&id=7:tips-for-parents-on-finding-a-college-match&catid=7&m=0

http://www.mskcsmath.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&task=download.send&id=38&catid=6&m=0

Strangely enough only one of the downloads that I created awhile ago on kkfsc3.com opens on my iphone and ipad

http://www.kkfsc3.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&task=download.send&id=1&catid=2&m=0

(just thought it would be useful to include a working one)

I am using iOS 8.4 on both devices (iphone 5 and Ipad2) with 5.1 GB available on iphone and 45.1 GB on ipad

I have contacted my site host and they say it is not their problem... Any insight would be helpful. If you need my backend credentials I will PM them.

Thank you. I am a big fan of jdownloads. thanks for making this available and easy to use for a rookie like me.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I have been trying to reproduce.  It would help if you could give the specific category names and download names of each example so I select them to see what link is generated from my PC.

Presently I use Android based tablet and phone.  On the tablet using the link given generates a file names such as index.php, index.php-1, index.php-2 and so on.  If I change the extension to .pdf then the resultant download becomes viewable.  But sometimes the downloading gets to near the end and then seems to hang as if it is awaiting some final interchange.  On my test site there was no problem at all as it correctly used the proper file name.  All of you examples tried to load, with the same download sometimes succeeding and sometimes failing.

For testing I would suggest you make some small pdf files to see if they are ok.

Of course an iOS might behave differently but I suspect there is a common 'tablet' problem so could you try testing on an android device please.

In jD config - security settings what do you have set for"Protect your Download-directory?"  Yes or No?

In jD Config - Downloads tab what do you have set for "Send Downloads using the PHP Script?"  Yes or No

I also noticed that when downloading a pdf from my test site onto my android that the pdf was not automatically opened on the tablet even though I had listed pdf in jd Config - Download Tab field "Which file types are to be opened in the Browser? ".  In both cases it was the Firefox browser.  What happens with iOS?

Colin
Colin M
  •  

kerbna83

Thank you Colin,

I have not yet been able to try on an android but recently my one domain: www.kkfsc3.com now has no problems with the downloads. It's quite bizarre. I haven't changed anything.

As for the domain: mskcsmath.com the larger files and even some of the smallest! are still not downloading. In IOS and in safari it opens a new tab and then like you said, waits as if it is trying to open and then kicks me off the server. Safari says "safari cannot open the page because the network connection was lost."

JD configurations for security protect download directory is set to "No"
JD configurations for Send downloads through PHP script set to "Yes"

Link to try
http://www.mskcsmath.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&task=download.send&id=31&catid=2&m=0

It's Category is Algebra I , File name is Algebra I Word Problems Practice

Thank you for your patience.

•  

ColinM

Hi
The download from mskcsmath.com 'challenge' is not just confined to iOS.  It is not downloading large files to my pc!  Small ones, eg ALG I Class Rules,  are ok but slow.  The file, when it arrived, was called index.php.  Is that the name of the file itself (not the name of the Download)? 

The problem looks like it is a server timeout.  Are you using a low cost shared type server?  iOS is very 'fussy' and less robust so it will fall over earlier.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

ColinM

Hi
It would be a good idea to increase server response by increasing php parameters, for example
- memory_limit 512MB
- max_input_time 300
- max_execution_time 240
Suggest you discus with your host provider.  These limits are changeable in the php.ini file

Colin
Colin M
  •  

kerbna83

I am not sure what you are asking but the file name is not index.php

The file name in question is just: glencoe algebra I workbook word problems

I am going to contact my host provider if you feel it is a server issue.

Thank you so much for the response.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
There is a possibility that the problem is that the file name , that is the file itself, does not have a valid extension.  That could be a source of the problem.  When a download from your site reached my test PC or my tablet the name of the file was "index.pdf".

You said that
QuoteThe file name in question is just: glencoe algebra I workbook word problems
I would epect the file name, not the Download name, to be say
"glencoe algebra I workbook word problems.pdf".

I could check this for you if you send me super admin login by PM, and also install the free component eXplorer so as to be able to look directly at the file system itself.

On a separate possibility does your site support multiple languages or is it English only?
Could you advise settings of the following fields in jD Config - Files and Folders tab
Use UTF-8
Replace spaces with underscores in names?
Change names to lowercase?
Remove/Change special characters in name?

Colin
PS Yes you should contact host provider to suggest the uprated settings as that is still the most likely cause, and in any case it will boost download performance
C
Colin M
  •