News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Public users cannot download but all settings say they can.

Started by INsane_dod, 26.11.2022 21:59:16

Previous topic - Next topic

INsane_dod

Update
Fixed by setting Global Configuration > Frontend Configuration > Download Sequence > "Use Downloads title as download link" to "Yes"

It was set on "No" and after setting on "Yes" it immediately allowed public users to download files that were previously set to "Only registered and logged-in users can download this file." ....the issue below in the original post.

I set it to "No" again to try and replicate the issue, the interference to allow public downloads settings as described below didn't return.
I'm not sure if a couple of tries to reset both Categories and downloads permissions and in the Tools section also helped.
I can tell you when I did reset they had no effect on the issue below.

However, selecting "Use Downloads title as download link" to "Yes" was instant and the download button appeared.
This issue affected all downloads on the site, that site was always public and I think the issue started when updating to Ver 3.9.8.4
That's when I also noted the download link in the download title disappeared.
I can't remember setting that to "No" at anytime...its always been yes.

Original post before the above "fix"....

This is weird, Here is an example download.
https://sturmbot.org/index.php/downloads/download/2-sturmbot-for-steam-packages/67-sturmbot-1-9-for-steam-dod-version
The site is set to allow public downloads just as it says in the tutorial.

At some point on an update it seems to have broken.
https://www.jdownloads.net/documentation-for-v3-9/access-user-group-permissions-v3-9/an-initial-view-of-permissions#public-site

On that page (Public Site) it shows you click the Downloads option to "Allowed" and all is good.
My settings are the same, Downloads set to "Allowed" but as you can see on that sample link of my site it says...
"Only registered and logged-in users can download this file."

I have even gone into the categories and ticked allowed there as well, nothing works.
I have also tried to reset both Categories and downloads permissions and in the Tools...
https://www.jdownloads.net/documentation-for-v3-9/access-user-group-permissions-v3-9/an-initial-view-of-permissions#recovery-or-startagain
That too, did not work.

My settings screenshot is attached.

This is jDownloads Version 3.9.8.6, problem was also on jDownloads Version 3.9.8.4 and updating made no difference.

Any hints ?

Thanks.

•  

ColinM

Hi
This sounds like somewhere you may have set a permission to Denied.  This has widespread efects!!
Please send me a Private Meassage with admin access to your site

Colin
Colin M
  •  

INsane_dod

Quote from: ColinM on 26.11.2022 23:40:01
Hi
This sounds like somewhere you may have set a permission to Denied.  This has widespread efects!!
Please send me a Private Meassage with admin access to your site

Colin

It's working now Colin, I couldn't replicate the Global Configuration > Frontend Configuration > Download Sequence > "Use Downloads title as download link" to "No"  ...then see the requirement come up to download you must be a registered user....even though the permissions were set to allow for downloads.

I checked that on my other site too and couldn't replicate it there either.

If I couldn't replicate it, it must be something else.
When fault-finding I did upgrade from Ver 3.9.8.4 to Ver 3.9.8.6 always bad to change too much at once when you are fault finding.

A week or two before that issue I selected PHP version 8.0 in my Cpanel (I think I was on 7.2 at the time) and broke the site, went back to 7.4 all OK.
It could have been related to that.

If it shows up again I'll send you a PM with access.

Thanks...and keep up the good work, can't wait to see version 4 go stable!
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Yes PHP8 does cause some problems in earlier versions of jD3.9 with deprecated code. For instance all optional parameters in a php function now have to follow the definite parameters - a real pain. jD3.9.8.6 looks like it is definitive
We are doing quite well on jD 4

Colin
Colin M
  •  

INsane_dod

Its returned again Colin.

Sent you a PM for site login.

Thanks  ;D

I just noticed this may be related to "categories".
Now the first problem was this category... Category: Sturmbot for Steam Packages
https://sturmbot.org/index.php/downloads/category/2-sturmbot-for-steam-packages

In my first post I 'fixed' it via ... Fixed by setting Global Configuration > Frontend Configuration > Download Sequence > "Use Downloads title as download link" to "Yes"

But I just noticed another category that is not allowing public users to download... must be a registered user.
Category: Day of Defeat Steam Maps
https://sturmbot.org/index.php/downloads/category/6-day-of-defeat-steam-maps

I went to "categories" and looked "permissions" of "Public" and it was set to a inherited "Not Allowed (Inherited)"
I switched that to "Allowed" and now the "public" users can get a download button.

I have the same issue with other categories... some are allowing public downloads and some are not.

I have now gone through all the main categories now and manually set each one to allow downloads in the Public user group.
That seems to have fixed it.

Not sure what triggered them to inherit "Not Allowed (Inherited)" as they have been OK since 2019 on that site with most having lots of downloads prior to Nov 2022.

Weird.   

•  

ColinM

Hi
I believe this is now sorted
Would appreciate your confirmation
Have clean up your site from a lot of unneccessary items but main item was assets table in a mess
Will remove my version of PWT ACL
Colin

PS Intend no further action until you respond
Colin M
  •