News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Joomla 4 compatibility

Started by linkedla, 31.05.2022 02:17:36

Previous topic - Next topic

linkedla

Hello,
You probably answer this before, but I wasn't able to find the answer about plans to make this great extension Joomla 4 compatible, it will be greatly appreciated if possible.
Many thanks,
Kind regards,
Jose.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
We are working on the jD4 version.  Decided to to make jD4 use the new J4 structures so it is a signiicant internal change.  Most of these affect the admin side. Alpha testing of the Admin is in progres.

#When will it be done - as soon as feasible.  We will be recruiting beta stage testers in due course.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

trogladyte

Just wondering how far along the J!4 version has gotten. I have a site that needs immediate upgrading to J!4 and it uses jDownloads. If there's a somewhat stable version I'm happy to test it, but I have to make a decision right now as to which way I'll go with the downloads system. This site is not a major download thing - it's just staff documents (nothing open to public view) available after logging in. It also needs the ability for my client to upload/renew the downloads.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
As I said earlier we are working on jD4.  Predicting when we will be doe is a challenge
The backend is looking good as are the modules.
But it is not yet in a useable form.   The changes made in J4 are very significant.  We are going for a full transition not a patched one!
I really think it will be autumn this year, say October for first release.

May I ask what is the essential reason for switching to J4?
Colin
Colin M
  •  

trogladyte

I have found that J!4 is significantly faster. That alone is worth the upgrade IMHO. Also, J!3 and the extensions it uses often have significant issues with PHP8 which I want to get all my sites onto. PHP7.4 is near EoL so it's logical, not to mention smart, to upgrade to PHP8. I've had a huge bunch of issues with various extensions under PHP8.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Yes J4 is faster and PHP8 is better.  Also the J4 architecture is 'cleaner' but has some, shall I say, unexpected twists!!

The first few release of J4 were a little unstable/unfinished so we had to wait until things settled down before we could begin the jD4 work.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

ColinM

Hi
To give you some idea of the changes in J4.2 from J3.10 please see
https://docs.joomla.org/Potential_backward_compatibility_issues_in_Joomla_4

Some of these mean much re-coding

Colin
Colin M
  •