News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Fields in jDownloads

Started by alhenag, 03.08.2021 22:07:57

Previous topic - Next topic

alhenag

Good morning
Is it possible to create additional fields for jDownloads category like you can do in Joomla articles?
Sorry, I am writing through translator. I hope you will understand :)
Greetings and hope for help, I need it very much.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
In jDownloads Fields and Field Groups are only available in Downloads.  This is because Joomla only supports it own Categories.  That is Joomla does not support Categories in other Extensions.  We believe this may change with J4 and if so we will impement.
I guess the reason why you wish to have  jD categories support for fields is that you want that certain fields are only shown in Downloads in specific categories.  Is that correct?
Colin
Colin M
  •  

alhenag

Thank you for your interest.
I need additional fields to number the categories and subcategories in detail, for example:
category 0
-subcategory 00
--subcategory 000
---subcategory 0000
---subcategory 0001
-subcategory 01
--subcategory 010
--subcategory 011
etc.
I could use the select "License" for this purpose (I don't need it in download), but I can't implement it for categories.
  •  

alhenag

The important thing is that I cannot use the numbering in the category title, it has to be a separate element.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
You seem to want to give the categories a 'index' number according to its 'depth'. And that this 'index' is not in the title of the Category or subcat.Is that correct?

The Title does, by default, set the alias and the name of the directory that holds the data.
As a demo I setup some categories and subcats, then used the Direcroy name as the extra identifier see pic.  The directory where the Downloadabke files will be stored was made the same as the last  part of the cal/subcat title.To be able to freely set the directory name use Options -Files And Folders tab - 'Create the Directory Name automatically' to No.
But I am not sure if that is what you want.
I may be able to help more if you could explain why you need the extra 'field' or identifier.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

alhenag

Colin, thank you so much for your willingness to help.
However, I have thought things through and will add the numbers to the category names.

There is another thing I need - either in an additional field or I need to implement a "License" checkbox to the category.
Joomla and jDownloads are to be used to create a file archive at the school. Such a list of classes (categories) has specific descriptions and symbols (see screen).
I also need to modify the jDownloads search engine to search for files according to my needs.
I don't know where to find the "ordering" and "only" lists to modify them.
Greetings - alhenag
  •  

ColinM

Hi
The Item you are looking for is Tags.  You can add the relevant tag and then using athe Tag menu list all jd Categories with that tag.See pic
There are multiple possiblities with Tags
For Searching I suggest you explore the Smart Search Components and the jD Categories Smart Search Plugin
Colin
Colin M
  •  

alhenag

Hi
What you see on the screen is actually Tags.
But unfortunately - I need them for other purposes and it cannot be so that in the downloads the Tags from the categories will be visible.
Is there a way to display different Tags for categories and different for files?
I will look into Smart Search right away, thank you so much for pointing it out.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Yes you  can use different tags for Downloads  and Categories.  They are not related.If you create a Tags Menu item you can select the ' content type' and other things
Colin
Colin M
  •  

alhenag

Hi
I have set everything up according to your instructions - I think it is good.
But still no expected effect.
There will be a lot of tags, so I care about separating them into two groups - for categories and for files.
Gosia (it's a Polish name :) )
  •  

ColinM

Hi GosiaYes any tag may be allocated to any a jD Category or a Download.  But it may be feasible to add a filtering as an option during editting- for example the control panel shows the 'Category tags' and the 'Download tags separately'.
oPresently we are about to lauch jD3.9.8  After that our next major activity is jD for Joomla 4 - but I will take a look to see what is involved.
Best wishesColin

Colin M
  •  

alhenag

Hi Colin
Thank you very much for your advice and time.
I am looking forward to Joomla 4 and the new version of jDownloads.
Best regards - Gosia
  •