News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Site is using a ton of memory

Started by murphle1965, 13.04.2021 11:33:18

Previous topic - Next topic

murphle1965

Thank you for creating such an amazing component. It has allowed my friend's company to share pdfs flawlessly.

As his PDF quantity has grown, so has an issue with his website using too much memory. This is a Joomla site, running Yootheme Pro and they now have over 3 gb of PDFs (they are kind of large PDFs) within jDownloads. This results in the site using 2.95 Gb of memory as people access the system to download PDFs.

The site has not been hacked and is healthy. Our host is saying we will have to move to a managed server for this small site. The site itself is very small and simple with jDownloads being the muscle with a very important function.

We are running the latest version of jDownloads. This memory issue is taking the site down (limiting resources).

Do you have any idea, other than not using jDownloads? I love this software.

Thank you!
  •  

Arno

Hi,
I do not understand really what you mean with memory. Mean you the HD place or really the memory (RAM)?
Why should use jDownloads nearly 3 GB RAM? I haver see a problem like this before.

Please describe it more in detail. When required can you send me also a PM.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

murphle1965

Good morning Arno!
It's not HD space, it's physical 'RAM' being swallowed up. From your response and my own searches in the forum here, I don't see where anyone else using jDownloads has had this problem. So this is a query, trying to find answers before I a) restore the site from backup or b) completely do a clean build. If you say jDownloads is not the problem, I believe you, since you've never seen it before.

The problem is the site went from using around 200mb of RAM to spiking up to 2.95 Gb of RAM on April 12 and hasn't stopped doing this. The hosting provider has allocated 4 Gb of RAM so I can debug and fix the issue, otherwise they want the customer to go to a managed server:/

The relation between the size of the jDownloads directory and the amount of physical 'RAM' the site is suddenly using resulted in my posing the question to you as to whether jDownloads could possibly be doing this. You would know more than anyone. My jDownloads directory has 3 Gb of PDFs (which I do understand is HD space) - I was just wondering if there was a connection.

Thank you for taking your time to respond.
  •  

Arno

Hi,
I think we should try to check this more in detail.

Could I get a link via PM to the problem in the frontend?

Do you use any special plugins for the PDF files view?
How many Downloads are listed in a page?
Have you published a lot of modules?
Use you cache options in Joomla settings?
Your server settings are 'normally'?
You could also try to deactivte the logs in Joomla. See here:
https://hoststud.com/resources/how-to-resolve-too-big-error-log-issue-in-joomla.577/

What exactly was changed at April 12? Have you installed the new Joomla version?
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

murphle1965

Thank you, Arno. I have PM'd you.
  •