News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Set a J! group for a user directly in edit form

Started by Dode, 16.09.2015 15:21:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Dode

Hello again,
In the "Edit Download" form, it would be great to have a way to change / add a permission group for the uploader, directly. Let me know what you think.
  •  

ColinM

Dode
It would be nice but adding permission groups is non trivial.  There are so many chances of error for all the different situations.

I think a better idea is having a more graphically based view of the Categories/User Groups set up to make it clearer like that shown in the debug reports

Colin
Colin M
  •  

Dode

Ok, then could it be possible to have a way to directly edit the uploader (in J! native component) from the Edit Download form (Publishing Options where the uploader is stated) ?
The idea is to simply add a user to a priviliged group when he had uploaded a file (validated), without fiddling aroung other J! components.
  •  

ColinM

Hi Dode
Think we might have a loop here!  The user has to belong to a privileged group in order to upload!
Maybe I am misunderstanding
Colin
Colin M
  •  

Dode

Quote from: ColinM on 16.09.2015 20:39:45The user has to belong to a privileged group in order to upload!
Not necessarily ;-) .
On my website, any registered user can upload, but not download, untill added to a specific group called Sono.
Let me explain this specific case.
We are dealing with a sound library, where you'll be able to download files only after you have uploaded a sound which  needs to be reviewed / validated by the website team (Admin group). The team have specific permissions to use JD in the backend, to review / validate these new uploaded sounds. I would love to allow my team to simply add an uploader to the Sono group (if not already in) without leaving JD backend. As i would love to allow my team to automatically send an e-mail (article based for example) to tell the uploader its sound has been accepted / rejected (actually done via Phoca Email which is far from perfect in this area, beacause based on Username instead of Name which is problematic).
See http://www.sounddesigners.org/sonotheque.html and you'll get an idea of what i'm talking about.
I know its a specific use, but JD is so rich and flexible that this should be feasable IMHO.
FYI, we are getting like 10 new uploads / day, so we need something efficient and simple (all in one).

Simply allowing to directly edit a user in J! native component from inside JD backend will be a nice improvment in that area.
  •  

ColinM

OK I see what you mean.  It would certainly aid your work and like your email on publishing suggestion would add to your 'community'

It is rather spe***ed and would involve noticeable effort.  Have asked Arno for his views.

Incidentally of your 4 suggestions which would you rate as the highest?

Colin
Colin M
  •  

Dode

In order of importance (for me) :

1/ display of Username in Edit form, and wherever it should be displayed, honouring the setting in configuration
2/ renaming of images in the same way as main file and preview
3/ a way to directly edit the user (/ its permissions) directly in edit form
4/ the mail thing (see topic)

Of course, nothing is crucial (except maybe the Username), so Arno should do whatever HE thinks is important or not.

Dorian.
  •  

Arno

Hi Dorian,
sorry but i can not understand what you will do here exactly...
You will with a new jD function add a user to another user group?
This seem for me to be a very special functionality. Is this useful for other users?
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Dode

Yes, this is the idea.
But don't bother, i realize it's a very specific function (that's why i posted it in "feature request" ;-) ).

But just to have a "link"  to edit the user (Username ;-) ) in the "Edit Form" would just be great, anymway.
  •