News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Download link does not work when title begins with number - [Not a Bug !!!]

Started by anhakkar, 10.01.2015 09:20:18

Previous topic - Next topic

anhakkar

Hello,

It seems that when a download title, or more precisely, the automatically generated alias, begins with a numeric character, the download link does not work. If I manually change the alias into something that does not begin with a number, the download link works.

Even if the download link does not work, one can still download the file by using checkbox download.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Sorry about delay but I missed this one! :(
I have tried following names
  '123 digit' which gave Alias: 123-digit
  '9digit' which gave Alias: 9digit

Both were created AOK.

Could you please provide more details
Thanks
Colin
Colin M
  •  

anhakkar

I have the folllowing examples:

"File name" -> Automatically generated alias (non-working)
"07620010.png" -> 07620010
"2013-05-27 hallitus.pdf" -> 2013-05-27-hallitus

The 'title link' to the download details page does not work in either of these, or any of the about 150 files I have with similar naming conventions.  The files that begin with an alpha character don't have this problem.

If I manually change the the above aliases like this:
x07620010
x2013-05-27-hallitus

... the details link work as it should. If I remove the x, its broken again.

Antti

T

There are about hundred
  •  

Arno

Hi,
Quote"File name" -> Automatically generated alias (non-working)
You mean really the file name and not the download title/name?
On which way have you created this downloads?
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

anhakkar

Yep, really the file name. (I used double quotes in my post because the filenames contain spaces.)

I have dropped the files in the category folder and then clicked on 'Check Download area now' in the Control Panel. Isn't this a correct procedure?

BTW, the auto-generated titles also get mangled the wrong way when filenames contain scandinavian characters (åäö) but that is another story...

Antti
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Have tried to reproduce your problem but could not. :(  Loaded up 3 files by ftp etc with auto monitoring off, then did manual 'monitor' from Control page.

It all just worked.  See pics below for details.

Not sure what to do next.   ???

Have you 'migrated' recently from 1.9 series?

Colin

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Colin M
  •  

anhakkar

Hello,

I have recently migrated from 1.9 series. These downloads, however, are new, not migrated.

I checked my links in the frontend and they look quite different from yours! I have the following setting in the config:
View download detail page? YES

For instance, I have file "15 vuotta.pdf". The download has an auto-generated alias "15-vuotta". The link in the frontend list view is as follows:

http://<my.site.address>/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&view=download&id=387:15-vuotta&catid=2&Itemid=105

This link does not work. If I change the alias (by adding an x in te beginning), the link is also changed:

http://<my.site.address>/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&view=download&id=387:x15-vuotta&catid=2&Itemid=105

... and this works.

It seems its the download details link that has this error. How come are your links so different from mine? 

If I change settings this way:
- View Download detail page? No
- Use files title as download link? Yes
.. I get functional links, no matter what the aliases are. But I need the details page on my site.

•  

ColinM

Hi
I am not being able to reproduce the fault on my test system. 
Does that work OK if you upload a Download from the front end, with leading digits in file name of course?
Do the downloads you migrated work?

May need to look at backed of your site.  Would it be possible to send login details via PM, only for use by Arno and myself?  Is site a test site or a live site?

Colin
Colin M
  •  

anhakkar

Thank you Colin,

I tested this from the frontend. I have hidden the alias field in frontend UI so it gets created automatically. It seems the alias is actually generated from the title, not filename. If I give a title that begins with a number, a non-working alias is also generated from the frontend upload, just like in autoimport.

Migrated downloads failed if they had this issue in their alias value. I have manually changed these aliases.

I will check if I am allowed to give you access to our backend. It is a production site, but there are not that many users. Will PM you later...

Antti
  •  

Arno

QuoteIt seems the alias is actually generated from the title, not filename. If I give a title that begins with a number, a non-working alias is also generated from the frontend upload, just like in autoimport.
Can it be that you have installed a special sef component?

QuoteQuote from Colin:
Have tried to reproduce your problem but could not.
Same for me.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I have doubly re-checked and cannot reproduce.  In Joomla! Global Config I have SEO as Yes and Use URL Rewriting as Yes.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

Arno

Hi Colin,
QuoteI have doubly re-checked and cannot reproduce. 
Exactly. So i think it can only be a special component which had not correct settings. Or maybe wrong rewrite conditions in the .htaccess.

So for me can it not be a jDownloads bug! 
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

anhakkar

Hello,

I think I found something now. I checked the site settings. Search Engine Friendly URLs were turned OFF. Url rewriting was ON.

If I enable Search Engine Friendly URLs, all links work as they should and they look similar to your examples above.

I think there may be a bug that only happens when SEO is off. Can you confirm this?

Antti

•  

Arno

QuoteCan you confirm this?
No i can not confirm in this case a bug in jD.

When you deactivate the sef option in Joomla, you should also deactivate the url rewriting (and rename the htaccess again to htaccess.txt).
The Url rewriting should you only activate (and rename to .htaccess) when you will use also the sef option in Joomla.

When you need an .htaccess for other things you should check the content from the .htaccess (especially the sef part with the rewriting conditions).
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

anhakkar

Thank you very much and sorry about the fuzz! So we had a configuration error in the site config that caused this strange and inconsistent behaviour with jD, but no other symptoms. Now everything works as it should.  :)
  •