News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Problem after update Joomla 3.9 for Joomla 4.2.

Started by danieledel, 19.03.2023 08:33:55

Previous topic - Next topic

danieledel

Good morning,
I have some difficult question about Jdownloads.

I have a popular site based on Joomla 3.10 http://www.ansuitalia.it/Portale/ thanks to Jdownloads (in Italian language) I have uploaded many gigabytes of files to share them. I couldn't get it to joomla 4.2, resorted to server backup put everything back after the failures. So I made a copy of the site (except the heavy Jdownloads files, everything else had been copied to the new web portal) at http://www.ansuitalia.it/Portale_nuovo/ , the one gigabyte Mysql xxxxxxxx_1 database was copied in database xxxxxxxx_2, disabling various systems and plugins I was able to switch to Joomla 4.2 (even if the old original site remains on Joomla 3.10) which uses only the database xxxxxxxx_2, so for now the old site works too, waiting to use the new site when it will be completed.

The new site updated to Joomla 4.2 couldn't use the old Jdownloads, so I uninstalled it and installed the new Jdownloads (4.0.20 beta) for Joomla 4, but it had many strange problems, it didn't work. I uninstalled it again by also deleting the Jdownloads data inside the Mysql xxxxxxxx_2 database and when I reinstalled it everything seemed to work, I also started some test folders and everything seems ok. My problem? In the old Jdownloads I have many files (maybe 20 gigabytes) with their various description texts, some preview images of the contents, already split folders and subfolders. Instead of redoing all the super work from scratch I would like to be able to "import" the "old" Jdownloads into the new one, including the database data, texts, files and so with a few clicks everything is back in place, without many hours of effort. Is there a method? Is there any software that does this? Can I make a backup of the "old" Jdownloads content to "import" everything into the "new" one, even writing to the Mysql _2 database?

I await your kind directions, good evening.
  •  

Arno

Hi daniel,
QuoteThe new site updated to Joomla 4.2 couldn't use the old Jdownloads, so I uninstalled it and installed the new Jdownloads (4.0.20 beta) for Joomla 4, but it had many strange problems, it didn't work.
It's a pity you didn't share your problems with the newly installed jDownloads 4 here!
You are the only one who has made such a statement so far. And in the meantime, several hundred users have installed the new version. I have received almost no error messages recently, but minor problems are bound to crop up here and there.

QuoteInstead of redoing all the super work from scratch I would like to be able to "import" the "old" Jdownloads into the new one, including the database data, texts, files and so with a few clicks everything is back in place, without many hours of effort. Is there a method? Is there any software that does this? Can I make a backup of the "old" Jdownloads content to "import" everything into the "new" one, even writing to the Mysql _2 database?
The database structure has changed somewhat in version 4. Therefore, you cannot simply take over the DB tables of the old 3.x version. However, there are only a few changes. I think I had already described the necessary changes somewhere. I'll have to check to see if I can find it again.

But the easiest way would have been to install the jDownloads 4 update. And that worked well for almost all users. Maybe you should try this again and tell me beforehand what problems you had before.

Since your post is not an bug report, I'm moving it. 

Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

danieledel

So to make all of Jdownloads work on Joomla 4 it was enough that I installed the new Jdownloads without removing the old Jdownloads (used by Joomla 3.10) and everything was already fine? I feel stupid, my problem is that the system showed me errors as soon as I enabled even one "previous" Jdownload element, and installing the new one it gave me errors, only by deleting the old one I was able to install the new one. I do not know what happened.

I'm ready to copy parts of the "old" (1) MySql database into the "new" (2) one, and to copy all the file folders calmly from the old site to the new one. I really want to fix the problem, and a lot of gratitude to whoever invented Jdownloads which is so awesome, I've been using it well for many years. Thanks a lot for Jdownload which is reliable and well thought out.
Good evening.
  •  

Arno

Hi,
I suspect that you did not follow the described procedure for the update.

All the necessary information, instructions etc. can be found in the description for downloading the new version 4 here:
https://www.jdownloads.com/index.php/downloads/download/6-jdownloads/70-jdownloads-4.html

However, you should not try to increase the confusion.

I would therefore advise you to set up a new test site with completely the same content as your current Joomla 3.10 and jDownloads 3.9 version.

On this test site, then carry out the update to Joomla 4 and jDownloads 4 as described. Of course, you must deactivate all other extensions that are not compatible with Joomla 4. It is up to you to decide whether you want to use this new test site for your rebuild after the update, or whether you only want to use the current DB tables on the test site you created first.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

danieledel

Here's an update on my problem, without previous Jdownloads data in the MySql database, Jdownload 4_0_20_beta installs without problems inside Joomla 4, but so I NOT recover descriptions, folder tree, files, permissions and the rest. Yesterday I then had Jdownload data of database _1 copied to database _2 , as pictured below. All folders and subfolders are also copied to the component directory, in the right location.

However, after the MySql database has the data from the previous Jdownloads, installing Jdownload 4_0_20_beta gives an error message (picture below), but so I can't recover the data if I first delete the database data.

Even more strange is that, although the installation fails and Jdownload 4_0_20_beta does not appear in the list of components, the plugins and modules typical of Jdownload 4_0_20_beta appear in the list of extensions ... Let's say I'm going crazy? Obviously the method described above is not feasible, I can't start a third site based on Joomla 3.9 after all the work I've done, I'll have to invent some method that works.

I think a lot to find a problem, are there any ideas?
Good evening.
  •  

Arno

Hi,
your jDownloads DB tables seems to be incorrect.

But I have to admit that her explanations confuse me a bit.  ::)
I'm not quite clear what they actually did and in what order. I'm afraid we won't be able to solve the problem that way.

There are two possibilities now:
1. you go back to the time before you tried the update process the first time. Then you try the update with the new version 4.0.21 which was released today. This version tries to correct the incorrect DB tables. You should then receive an information about invalid DB tables at the first start. Then start the update process a second time. The update should then complete successfully.

2. you send me a backup of the Joomla 3.10 database including the original 3.9.x jDownloads DB tables and I try to perform the update for you. If necessary with the necessary manual changes. Afterwards, I will send you the new database to import into your website.

Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

danieledel

Thank you very much for your kind resolution of the problem, you are a true expert and have a big heart. I emailed her how to download my database file.
Good day.
  •  

danieledel

I apologize but my post: https://www.jdownloads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13912.0 it was closed because it is said that I would not have sent anything, yet I have sent 3 different private emails from the site form: https://www.jdownloads.com/index.php/contact.html
I put the downloadable database .sql file with a link, inside my site, to allow for analysis once it was downloaded, all data was sent via email. I am willing to pay a cash reward to fix this.
Good day.
  •  

Arno

Hi Daniel,
in this case seems something went wrong.  ::)

I have not received any PM or e-mail.  :-\

But I have open the original topic again. So I will move later the new posts to this topic.

I will send you a PM.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

danieledel

I sent the data to my database again, I used 2 emails that have the same name as the holder: danieledel@inxxxx.xx and danielozma@gxxxx.xxx . Thank you and good day.
  •  

Arno

Hi Daniele,
I have now received your e-mail and also your PM.
I will try to check your DB tables tonight or tomorrow.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

Arno

Hi,
I have now checked out your jDownloads DB tables.

The problem is that this tables are from the very old version 3.2.x !
But it is not possible to update from this version directly to jDownloads 4.

So you must first try to run the update to the latest version 3.9.8.x.
You can find what you need for this here:
https://www.jdownloads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13923.msg49537#msg49537
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

danieledel

As you know I have online both the "old site" (with Joomla 3.10) and the "new site" (Joomla 4) hidden in a secret folder. I installed Jdownloads 3.9 on the "old site" (double installation, as in the instructions) and everything seems to have gone well, the messages say that everything went well, the files are downloaded from the site. Thank you for all the help received so far.

But if I access the Mysql database of the "old site" I DON'T see titles of tables headed to Jdownloads 3.9 (for backup, like in the picture above taken a few minutes ago), so I wonder if I did it right or not. In fact, if everything is ok, I copy the new piece of Jdownloads database into the database of the "new site", and from there I start the installation of Jdownloads for Joomla 4. How do I check that the database is updated correctly? I await your kind directions, and have a good day. Thank you.
  •  

ColinM

Hi,
From what you write I suggest that you abandon your 'new site'.  Think it is a 'complication' that is not needed. :)

Just do some test that your 'old site' is working OK.  For example can you create a new category in the backend,can you edit a download from the front end and so on. 
When you are happy that the old site is working then make an akeeba backup so you can restore it elsewhere if you should need it.
Ensure you are at latest version of Joomla 3.10

Then to upgrade the site from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4 by following the instructions in
https://www.jdownloads.net/documentation/getting-started-v3-9/upgrading-from-jd3-9-to-jd4-%7Bv4%7D

Also check you are at PHP8
  Colin
Colin M
  •  

danieledel

Thanks for the suggestion but by now the "new site" is ready while the gigantic "old site" should cost many hours of work to be adapted, when everything is ready I rename the online folder that contains one site and replace it with the other. Also having "new sites" has already helped me defend myself against mistakes I made while upgrading, like a lightning rod. Good day.
  •