News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

empty tag {modified_by_value}

Started by belini, 16.04.2018 20:49:31

Previous topic - Next topic

belini

Hi,

There is a problem I noticed with the {modified_by_value} tag used to show the update date of the file and it has always been blank.

The only tag that reports the update date is {file_date}, may not be the ideal tag, but it always shows the date of the last update.

I noticed this problem in two jDownloads installs.

And maybe because of this problem it is not showing the "Updated" tag when updating a file.

Could you help with that?
Thank you.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Hmm!  There does not seem to be a field in the upload form that allows one to specify who modified the Download.
But there is a field in the database structure which is marked as 'Deprecated' so the intention is, or at least was, to remove it.
Perhaps you could comment on the need for such a field.
Thanks
Colin
Colin M
  •  

belini

I guess I was not clear enough.

I have a download that I will update (marked in red)

In the editing screen I select the new file, see that I use a file with a different name to make sure it has been changed (adm006_04.pdf) and after saving.

When I return to the home screen the tag "UPDATED" does not appear even though I know I updated the file.

And in the "Read More" link the "Changed" field is empty.
This field is always empty even though I know I've updated the file.

Within the jDownloads going to "Layouts" alternative "Download Details" is selected the Layout "Standard Details Layout v3.2 - Full Info"
Inside it can be seen that the tag used in the "Changed" field is "{modified_date_value}".

And going to "Layouts: Files" I activated the Layout "Alternate Files Layout v3.2" where it has
the "{pic_is_updated}" tag that indicates that it should display when the file is updated, even though I choose any other layout the effect is the same, that is, it does not appear.

I would like to know how to solve this, since I have not made any modifications in jDownloads and notice this behavior even in fresh installation.
  •  

Arno

Hi Belini,
- the placeholder {file_date} displayed only the date from the assigned file and can be different from the last modification time
- the placeholder {modified_by_value} displayed which user has modified at latest the Download
- the placeholder {modified_date_value} indicates when the download was last saved
- the Updated hint is only visible when you have activated the Mark Download as Updated field (and has only marginal to do with the date)

QuoteAnd in the "Read More" link the "Changed" field is empty.
This field is always empty even though I know I've updated the file.
I will check this.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Arno

After a short check I cannot confirm the problem with the missing 'change date'. See pic.  ::)

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

ColinM

Hi
In order to get the updated pic to appear one needs three things:

• the 'Has it been 'Updated'?' field has to be set to Yes;
  • and the Modified Date field has to have a valid date;
  • the date set has to be within the valid date range as set in Config - Pictures tab - field 'How many days is a Download to be considered as Updated? '.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

belini

Quote from: ColinM on 18.04.2018 13:21:07
Hi
In order to get the updated pic to appear one needs three things:

• the 'Has it been 'Updated'?' field has to be set to Yes;
  • and the Modified Date field has to have a valid date;
  • the date set has to be within the valid date range as set in Config - Pictures tab - field 'How many days is a Download to be considered as Updated? '.
Colin

This was the problem  :o

I did not set the modification date, it comes empty by default and I did not realize it.  ::)

One suggestion might be to include a parameter where the user can choose whether the modification date is filled with the date of the day or empty?

This may help, in cases like mine that normally assume that if a change has been made, that the date of modification be updated to the date of the day.

Having to update the file and then remember to update the date modification field is costly when you need to update multiple files in sequence.

•  

ColinM

Hi
Yes the setting when modified does need looking at.  It is not straight forward as for example a user maybe just correcting a simple spelling error or similar. But if say the file is changed then it is almost certainly an update but there again it could have been that the wrong file hade been uploaded previously.
Perhaps when the user sets the modified field from No to Yes then the modified date should be automatically set to the current date.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

belini

Quote from: ColinM on 20.04.2018 00:38:17
Hi
Yes the setting when modified does need looking at.  It is not straight forward as for example a user maybe just correcting a simple spelling error or similar. But if say the file is changed then it is almost certainly an update but there again it could have been that the wrong file hade been uploaded previously.

This I think is an issue that should be left for the user to decide.
If it should consider changing a wrong file as new update or not. In my case, for example, I consider it an update, no matter what the reason. I consider that the update date should reflect the date of the last update, the file being wrong or not.
Ok, it being wrong should be fixed, and when I fix it, the update date will be the date of the new upload, simple as well.  ;)

Quote from: ColinM on 20.04.2018 00:38:17
Perhaps when the user sets the modified field from No to Yes then the modified date should be automatically set to the current date.
Colin

I believe it can also be a way to resolve this issue.

•