News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

How does Joomla compare to Wordpress?

Started by andyscraven, 09.05.2012 21:41:55

Previous topic - Next topic

johnwblatter

I am a Wordpress fan, I have a few sites that use Joomla and others that use WP. But wordpress is definitely the better choice if seo is your main goal. In Joomla,  seo friendly urls are quite complex and must be activated, other hand WP automatically creates seo friendly urls. That's probably why Google prefers WP over joomla.
  •  

johnmaclenn

We experimented with a a few CMSs before opting to work with WordPress. Joomla is no doubt an excellent CMS, however, I do feel that WordPress has a very vibrant community of users and developers. The number of plugins available is excellent, and the support forums have all the answers to the problems you may encounter. Our designers love the flexibility of WordPress to design the way they want. More over we feel that it is designer friendly rather than developer friendly. The end user also feels comfortable using it. These are just a few advantages, I feel, WordPress has over other Content Management Systems.
  •  

phil89

I agree. I have been experimenting with joomla and wordpress quite a bit over the course of the last several months and I have to say that I really enjoyed being able to find the answers very quickly by visiting the many support forums. I also really like the variety of plugins available for wordpress users. This is not to say that Joomla is a quality CMS, just that from my personal experience using wordpress has turned out to be the number one choice for people starting out with building their own website. Hope that helps.

•  

prilejuit

You can't compare the two. It's like trying to compare Windows with Linux. Windows is more flashy, more user friendly, eye catching, but Linux is better with regards to performance and security. Wordpress is better for the search engines, and Joomla simply looks nicer and can do some really nice visuals. It depends on what you want from a website.
  •  

isabelleburcham

I always favor Wordpress  ;D
It is more admin/user friendly.
  •  

PaulRoss

I think that Wordpress is cool for open a lot of sites. And Joomla for a big site more complicated.

But with the pass of the years, they are more near now.

I choose Wordpress for the seo. In my experience, is better and have more tools.
Si quieres ser un ganador, aprende a como perder peso y serás una persona delgada
  •  

beemeart

WordPress all the way. the features especially the plugins that are that available are so many that they can enable you to do anything on your site,
  •  

anjoke

You should tell your client wordpress is the best. tell him or her that it's user friendly can be managed easily.
  •  

guy_smiley

Depends what type of site is being built.

The learning curve on Wordpress is much shorter along with better documentation.

I believe that is why more use it
  •  

paulmorales33

The problem with Joomla! is that my clients find it hard to get used too, they say that the backend is really a mess. That?s what they say, even I already thought them how to use it.
  •  

guy_smiley

i've noticed that too paul, which is sort of what i meant by the learning curve being shorter with wp

the interface for joomla is daunting for newbies
  •  

agenbola

my opinion is wordpress works better then joomla and its more compatible seo friendly with google.
  •  

topnotchsports22

To make it perfectly clear: I have nothing against either system, be it WordPress or Joomla. Both have their own typical advantages. I use them both successfully.
  •  

pietermark

I do not have any experience with Joomla. But one of the advantages of WordPress is that it's the most used by marketers. Much neat plugins are developed to make the life of a online marketer much easier, also when it comes to SEO. I never have seen a plugin or similar feature for Joomla. Or is this because I mainly focus on WP?

One of the flaws obviously of WP is that you always have to keep in mind the security of your website. How is Joomla when it comes to secutiy, hackers etc.?

Pieter
  •  

johnphillip33

Joomla, for me is my favorite system to use. Around Joomla 1.5, wordpress was using Wordpress version 2 and Joomla definitely reigned over. Wordpress is a blogging platform, so the needs were never met as compared to using Joomla.

Now, checking back on the recent WP achievements, I have to admit Wordpress is quite the competitor now. By using the Custom fields whether via a plugin or hardcoded into a theme, anyone can achieve a quick configurable app using WP.

Wordpress is definitely simpler to understand for most persons, but I find they're downfall is having much of the site dependent on the theme installed.
With Joomla, once you create or install a Plugin, it works with the corresponding component of the site and changing the theme does not render the plugin useless or clash with similar function names. So, I would definitely stick with Joomla.

Thanks
  •