News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Suggestion for improvement of the "Latest" module

Started by WildLynxPilot, 10.04.2023 11:59:45

Previous topic - Next topic

WildLynxPilot

On the wishlist for the "Latest" module: 

Please, add a possibilty to show the date of the latest modification and also a possibility to show the author in the module!
  •  

Arno

QuotePlease, add a possibilty to show the date of the latest modification
You mean 'additional' to the creation date?
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

WildLynxPilot

•  

Tazzios

It is probably a big stretch but:

Jdownloads already has a lot of functionality to edit layouts, Why not create modules layouts with it? The user just chooses a template from a picklist.

benefits:

• Easy to customize for the user
  • less settings and code in the modules
  • module layouts are easier to manage
  • all layouts at one place
  • Editing layouts all works the same
  • Less different modules needed*[/i]

*After I'm over to j4 i will pick this project again: https://www.jdownloads.com/forum/index.php?topic=12369.msg46492#msg46492
As mentioned then, it could replace the  Top,Latest,Last_updated and Rating module and has more options. Which would make it for the user also easier because there are less modules to choose from, and it is easier to change an existing module where the user now sometimes has to delete and add a new module.

Arno

Hi Tazzios,
QuoteAfter I'm over to j4 i will pick this project again: https://www.jdownloads.com/forum/index.php?topic=12369.msg46492#msg46492
As mentioned then, it could replace the  Top,Latest,Last_updated and Rating module and has more options. Which would make it for the user also easier because there are less modules to choose from, and it is easier to change an existing module where the user now sometimes has to delete and add a new module.
I had also considered this type of module at the beginning and today I don't know exactly why I decided to take individual modules.
Of course, from today's point of view, it would be worth considering and could then be implemented with a corresponding layout administration.

However, the old modules would still have to be delivered, if only for reasons of downward compatibility. Forcing users to switch to the new modules would probably involve too much (?) work for the users of a previous version.

But it really is worth considering.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I am not so sure that would be a good idea.  Pesently the modules are easy for a user to setup.  It is rare for users to edit/change layouts as it is much more complex.  Adding a few more possibilities to modules is not very difficult just a little tiresome difficult.

Documenting modules is straight foreward but documenting the layouts is a nightmare in comparison!!!!  Sometimes the pragmatic solution is best for a regular user who is not perhaps interested in the coding and I suggest prefers simplicity.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

Arno

Hi Colin,
That was exactly the reason why I did not use such 'multiple' modules from the beginning. The focus was always on the simplest possible operation. And it should stay that way.

The editing of the current layouts is also very complex for beginners, I agree.

That's why the plan was to include a larger number of different designs. Unfortunately, no one has yet agreed to create appropriate (and also more modern) templates for this or to make them available free of charge. Unfortunately, I don't have the creative skills to do this myself.

For the time being, I do not intend to change the modules as suggested above. This would also be difficult to implement for reasons of incompatibility.

Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •