News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Search by category in search results page {Solved in jD3.9.8.3]

Started by Eduard Dimitrov, 21.01.2022 15:00:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Eduard Dimitrov

Category filtering works, but the problem is that it only works on category pages and on the jdownloads home page - there is a drop-down menu at the top right. But there's no way to search by category on search results page :(

So, how to filter by category search results? We need something like this:
index.php?option=com_jdownloads&view=category&catid=7&Itemid=413&searchword=111111111 - search by keyword in category page

or better search by keyword and category on search results page:
index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=413&view=search&searchword=111111111&catid=7

And what files I need to modify, may be:
/components/com_jdownloads/helpers/route.php
/components/com_jdownloads/models/search.php
/components/com_jdownloads/views/search/tmpl/default_results.php

P.S. My versions: Latest Joomla 3 and latest Jdownloads, php 7.4.
  •  

ColinM

Hi,
Thanks for input.  Please note that this is a suggestion - not a bug.

I think you are asking is for a search method  for categories as the present search is aimed at Downloads.  Having beter search facilities is one of our aims - but at present getting jD to Joomla 4 is taking prioriy!

Have you considerefd using Joomla tags as a way of associating catories (and Downloads)
For mor info see
https://www.jdownloads.net/documentation-for-v3-9/faq-v3-9/tags-support-in-jdownloads

Best wishes
Colin
Colin M
  •  

Eduard Dimitrov

Thank you, Colin. Yes, we use tags and custom fileds. But the client need also search by category.

We have PHP programmer and already have developed search module for Jdownloads searching in titles, id's and in custom fields. We need only little help where to modify code. Or, if someone from your team can do this for us, I can pay you over Paypal.
  •  

ColinM

Edinstven
I will send you a PM.  But please understand that our top priority is getting a Joomla 4 version of jD which is taking most of Arno's time

Colin
Colin M
  •  

Arno

Hi,
maybe I should you hint to the fact that with Joomla 4 the old search component is not more usable.

We had adopt this component to use it in jDownloads for an inner search possibility. In the moment it is not sure that we will use it also in our Joomla 4 version. It exist since jDownloads 3.9 already the two smart search plugins for this more comprehensive and better search component which is also supported in Joomla 4. It is also much faster as it works with an index. With this core component it is also possible to search only in selected jDownloads categories. Only the access over the jDownloads frontend main page is in the moment not implemented.

But I think you should look more at this direction (Smart Search with jDownloads Smart Search plugins).
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Eduard Dimitrov

Arno, thanks, I will check it. Probably this is not the way we need (we need custom Jdownloads core modification - working category parameter on Jdownloads search results page), but may be code of this plugin for smart search will help us to develop the full solution.
  •  

Eduard Dimitrov

I tested smart search, but... The problems:

1. Does not work with dash. If dash is present in document title, the search did not find the result. Any result. Search for any word inside title - every time no one result.
2. Jdownloads search works great with custom field values, but smart search does not work with custom fields. If you add some custom field to some document and search for custom field value, no results.

Arno and ColinM, can you do for us this small modification, please? Is really small modification and I will pay you for your work. Details alredy sent to ColinM.
  •  

Tazzios

Quote from: Eduard Dimitrov on 07.02.2022 15:42:36
I tested smart search, but... The problems:

1. Does not work with dash. If dash is present in document title, the search did not find the result. Any result. Search for any word inside title - every time no one result.
2. Jdownloads search works great with custom field values, but smart search does not work with custom fields. If you add some custom field to some document and search for custom field value, no results.

Arno and ColinM, can you do for us this small modification, please? Is really small modification and I will pay you for your work. Details alredy sent to ColinM.

2. should be an old problem
https://www.jdownloads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11928.msg45541#msg45541
But it seems there is something wrong:
I could not find a file on a part of the filename lets say 'example' files where in a custom fields 'example' was where found.
So I thought I do a index rebuild! and now i can not find anything. It seems the index is empty

Edit:
Good news
clear index and rebuild fixed everything  :D
Also no problem with dash file name like 'MJOP 2021-2035'. Though if I search for '2021-2' it finds nothing but gives '2021-2035' as a hint.

Eduard Dimitrov

Old or new problem, custom fields values are not searchable from smart search, only from standard search. With or without smart search rebuild - i delete all indexed items, rebuild, again - nothing! Tested with Jdownloads 3.9.8.1 and 3.9.8.2 - the same result.

Smart search for me not usable. To developers: Much better will be to focus your efforts on standard search: index.php?option=com_jdownloads&view=search&searchword=nnnnnn

P.S. And how exactly you want to develop better this project without even accepting orders for paid orders for custom modifications? I really don't understand you.
  •  

ColinM

Eduard
As mentioned earlier our main activity at the moment is Version 4.
We do listen to all suggestions and review them.  Both Arno and myself do this work as volunteers so payment is not an issue

Colin
Colin M
  •  

Arno

Hi Eduard,
Quote1. Does not work with dash. If dash is present in document title, the search did not find the result. Any result. Search for any word inside title - every time no one result.
Sorry for the late reply. I will check your problems and maybe we can find a solution.

QuoteArno and ColinM, can you do for us this small modification, please? Is really small modification and I will pay you for your work. Details alredy sent to ColinM.
jDownloads is an open source project and we are not working on it full-time.  At the moment our main goal is to finish a Joomla 4 compatible version. Many users are waiting for it and almost daily I get requests.

Therefore, special adjustments are currently only limited possible and only if we can arrange it in time. I hope for your understanding. In your case I will now go into more detail and check what we can do.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Arno

Hi Eduard,
I think I could solve your issue.  ;)

After a few hours I could finish a first test version. See attached pics.
I want to test it more before you can get it. I will also add a placeholder for the category select box. So it is possible to add the position via Search layout.
I think that then all desired requirements should be possible with this version:
- results also from extra fields
- search terms with special chars (like dash)
- search and results directly in jDownloads
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

Eduard Dimitrov

•  

Arno

Hi,
attached is a first test version. Not final published yet.
Please try it and post here your experiences. Thanks.

When you should be satisfied a donation would be fine.  ;)
See the donation button on www.jdownloads.com start page.

By the way, I must confirm the problem with Smart Search and custom fields. I will fix this in the next time.

Hint: All users which will install this pre-version must later install manually the finaly version.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

Eduard Dimitrov

We finally made it work on our test server. The donation has been made, please write me PM if it is enough. Arno, thank you very much once again!
  •