News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Minimum MariaDB 10.2 required

Started by rikoooo, 05.06.2021 16:45:54

Previous topic - Next topic

rikoooo

Hi,

I want to upgrade from Jdownloads 3.2 to 3.9, but I can't because my version of MariaDB is 10.1.48 but Jdownloads 3.9 require minimum MariaDB 10.2.

I can't update MariaDB at the moment, what are my possible workarounds ?

If I force the installation, will it be ok ?

Thank you in advance

Erik
  •  

ColinM

Hi,Sorry but there are no work arounds :( The database does need to be to a certain level.
If you 'force' the update it is likely to create problems.
Is it your hosting service that will not upgrade or are you using your own server/
Colin
Colin M
  •  

rikoooo

Hi,

I'm using my own server but use external database hosting for higher performance, and my host said the database server is a cluster that cannot be upgraded prior warn all customers and make tests.

I don't know what to do now  :-\

Erik
  •  

rikoooo

Just a question,

If I upgrade Jdownloads on a local database with MariaDB 10.2 and then export the database of Jdownloads 3.9 to my exterior host who is using MariaDB 10.1 will it work ?

Erik
  •  

Tazzios

Quote from: rikoooo on 06.06.2021 15:10:51
Just a question,

If I upgrade Jdownloads on a local database with MariaDB 10.2 and then export the database of Jdownloads 3.9 to my exterior host who is using MariaDB 10.1 will it work ?

Erik
If you want to try to workaround it it will cost you a lot of time and you will be never sure that it will work.
If i check the mariadb site i see "MariaDB 10.1 is no longer being supported. "* So ask your self if it`s maybe time to say goodbye to your current hosting if this is the services the offer.

*https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb-server/

rikoooo

Thanks for your reply

I will try to force the installation and let you know about my results with MariaDB 10.1 and Jdownloads 3.9

Thanks
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Trying to force the issue is likely to end in problems - not sure jD will let you pass!!
Suggestion by Tazzios is a very sensible one.
If you have a direct fibre ethernet to your premises then I would suggest you relocate the database and more importantly the files onto your server.  In any situation I would suggest you get an FTP backup of your files.  Also a copy of your database.
Rochen have a special offer at the moment of £3.95/month. There are several deals available but you get what you pay for!
Colin
Colin M
  •  

rikoooo

Hi,

Thank you for the reply Collins but for now changing my host isn't an option.

I have forced the installation with a little hack, and it's a success, Jdownloads is working without problem so far, and why not! I have plenty of components, modules and plugins that work perfectly, even Joomla 3.9 itself with MariaDB 10.1.48

This is how I dit it :

download the latest version of jdownloads, unzip all  on your computer and open script.php and look for this IF statement and remove it :

if (!$dbMatch){
                                    // Notify the user of the potential update
                                    $dbMsg = \JText::sprintf(
                                        'COM_JDOWNLOADS_UPGRADE32_AVAILABLE_UPDATE_DB_MINIMUM',
                                        'jDownloads',
                                        $this->new_version,
                                        \JText::_($db->name),
                                        $dbVersion,
                                        $minumumVersion
                                    );

// Upgrade abort with hint about db problem
                                    $message = '<div>
                                                    <h5>'.$dbMsg.'</h5>
                                                </div>';
                                    JError::raiseWarning(null, $message);         
                                    return false;
                                }

Save the file and re-zipe all, then install jdownloads. Done
  •  

ColinM

Rikooo
Thanks for update.  Glad it works! But a bit surprised that MariaDB 10.1.48 worked OK.
Maybe there is somewhere in jD that does require 10.2 but we do tend to use the same db code all the time
So will check the compatibility with MySQL 5.6. 

Presently the Joomla peope are saying that for J4 the minimum level is MySQL 5.6 but strongly recommending a higher version.
Colin
Colin M
  •