News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Selective download permission

Started by Gianni, 18.04.2021 11:14:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Gianni

Hi, I'm not able to configure the same user to download in some categories and not in other. In other words, my user belongs to three different groups, two of them with a correspondent Access Control with download permission and to another without. The user can see downloads belonging to public groups but even there cannot download.Just to be into a group without download permission, this denies the possibility to download even into groups where download is allowed. I'd like to be able to configure a user to download in some categories but not in others.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Just for clarity Access Levels control what a user can see in the frontend, Permissions define what members of a User Group (UG) can do, eg Download, Edit, etc. Obviously if you cannot see something then you cannot take any action!

In Permissions all USER Groups are a member through inheritance of the Public UG but not of the Guest UG.  Suppose we have two UGs called Downloader and Downloader_Plus.  The parent of Downloader is Registered and the parent of Downloader_plus is Downloader.

So Downloader belongs to UGs Downloader, Registered and Public.  Downloader_plus is also members of those UGs as well as Downloader_plus

You can create multiple UGs with Public as their Parent.  Also Multipe Downloader UGs with Registered as their parent.

Then you just set a user to be a member of the correct set of UGs.

When it comes to jD content you could also look at the Hide functionality as described in the Advanced section of the jD System plugin.

And in jD 39 you can use the 'Single User Access' feature where ony a named user can see Downloadshttps://www.jdownloads.net/documentation-for-v3-9/access-user-group-permissions-v3-9/single-user-access

Colin
PS never use Deny permission
Colin M
  •  

Gianni

Ok but, how can I deny download permission to a user group inherited fron a UG with download permission without use "deny" setting? I need to inherit From a UG able to download to permit to that other user UG to have access, without permission to download, to same category... So the problem is: I want to SEE the downloads of a private group without be able to download AND I need to download all public or registered documents from other public or registered UG... So I need to inhibit the possibility to download for a UG ONLY from one specific category but being able to see the downloads... :-\
  •  

Gianni

so, I understood the difference between Access level an Permissions; the problem is that a user can have or non download permission and this will affect all categories he will see but, to be honest, this is why his UG have the deny setting...
How can I see from an high ranking UG without download and simultaneously have the ability to download from others categories without use deny?
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Please DO NOT USE DENY it has serious repercussions!!!!  Colin
Colin M
  •  

Gianni

Hi, please, give me an alternative... May I hide the download button for a specific UG?
  •  

ColinM

Hi Please see pic
Yes.  When a user can see a Download but does not have permission to download then the Download button does not appear.
Please see pic permission01.png  Access was Public.

But I actualy gave another Download in the same Category specific  'Download Permision' so that one can be downloaded.  That is you can set permissions on the Downloads themselves rather than always using in as inherited from the category. See the second pic.

Colin
Colin M
  •