News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Simple permission download

Started by Andy-013, 20.02.2021 11:20:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy-013

Hi,

I have integrated jdownloads in joomla article

1. Can I skip "Download Details" ? I would like the person to download directly instead of getting download details page which use the layout : "Example Details Layout", "Standard Details Layout - Full Info" etc..

2. I would like only registered users to be able to download. Should I set this in "Downloads" > "My Download item" > "permissions" ?

3. Is it possible to restrict the number of downloads per user ? Let's say out of 10 downloadable image, he can download only 3 per day.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Most of what you want is in the documentation - but there is a lot of documentation!! so I will give you a guide
First of all  please look athttps://www.jdownloads.net/documentation-for-v3-9/modules-plugins-v3-9/using-the-content-plugin-in-articles-and-modules
First I suggest you use one of the 'short' layouts. You can set up which layout is used in Options - Content Plugin tab in the Default Layout option

Quote"Can I skip "Download Details" ? I would like the person to download directly instead of getting download details page which use the layout : "Example Details Layout", "Standard Details Layout - Full Info" etc.."
To use a direct Download Go to Options - Front End Tab and see the Download sequence section. for more info see
https://www.jdownloads.net/documentation-for-v3-9/options-configuration-v3-9/a-tutorial-on-the-frontend-optionshttps://www.jdownloads.net/documentation-for-v3-9/faq-v3-9/download-actions-direct-via-summary-page-or-via-download-details

QuoteI would like only registered users to be able to download. Should I set this in "Downloads" > "My Download item" > "permissions" ?
The simplest way of resoving this is to go to jD Options and select the Permissions tab.  Select the Public User Group and change the permission setting of Download to Inherited - NEVER set to Denied.  Then go to the Registered UG to Allowed.  (little green ticks will be shown against the UGs you have changed)  Now do a Save  ( the green ticks dissappear)  These permissions will then propogate through all yor jD categories and Downloads.Users who are not logged in will still be able to see the Downloads but will not be able to Download.
For more info see
https://www.jdownloads.net/documentation-for-v3-9/access-user-group-permissions-v3-9/an-initial-view-of-permissionshttps://www.jdownloads.net/documentation-for-v3-9/access-user-group-permissions-v3-9/user-groups-settings-overview-2

QuoteIs it possible to restrict the number of downloads per user ? Let's say out of 10 downloadable image, he can download only 3 per day.

Here you will need to access User Group Settings in the Backend.  As your users are in the Registered UG the in User Groups Settings select the Registered UG.Now select the Limits Tab.  You will see limits for Daily, Weekly and Monthly.  Obviously you set the value 3 in the Daily Download Limit option.  I suggest you do not use any of the other options below the Monthly limit option.
Also there is a note "When you setup user group limits, it is very important that you activate jDownloads logging in Options - Global Settings, otherwise this function will not work properly. Also remember that the duration for keeping log data sets should be set in the jDownloads system plugin to avoid excessive database growth."  The Default setting for the system plugin is 30 days so that is OK, and the default setting for 'Activate Log Function' is Yes. But please check.
Best wishes
Colin
Colin M
  •  

Andy-013

Hi,

many thanks for your detailed explanation.

1. jd options > frontend > Download Sequence
Activate direct-downloading : Yes
View Download detail page : no
Use Downloads title as download link : Yes

I have layout (jDownloads: Edit Layout: Downloads) for download as :
<div class="jd_files_oneline " style=""><b>{file_title}</b>&#160;</div>{url_download}

{jd_file file==1} (in the content) will load the name of the download and a download button just after.
{jd_file file==1} link will open in the same window a download page with a Table and the download button whereas the link for download button will open the same content but in a new window.

Am I doing something wrong ?

2. Perfect - Working exactly as I wanted

3. Perfect - Working exactly as I wanted too
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Before venturing into your own layout could you please try with the'Files Link Only' layout.  Use that to get your other Front End setting correct.
We can then sort out what you would like to appear in the layouit.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

Andy-013

Hi and thanks,

I've sorted the part where the filename (with download link) and download button was both appearing in the article. Minor tweaks in Layouts > Downloads > Files link Only (which is Active).

My 2nd issue is about having the less possible information in "download details" page. Ideally (when I click the download button in the article page), it should open a popup and exclude my template layout (am having some weird issues like modules which should not appear there). The popup should contain
(1) a download button
(2) the {jdreg} tag or how many downloads left.
(3) Check box (with link to T&Cs)

Also whatever layout I select for download details, I have the same "download details" page. Snapshot annexed.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Apologies for the delayed response - had some own challenges to sort outYou wrote
QuoteMy 2nd issue is about having the less possible information in "download details" page. Ideally (when I click the download button in the article page), it should open a popup and exclude my template layout (am having some weird issues like modules which should not appear there). The popup should contain
(1) a download button
(2) the  tag or how many downloads left.
(3) Check box (with link to T&Cs)
Excluding your template is not really feasible.You do not have to have Download Details showing by setting a direct download option in the front end settings Not sure what you mean with 'How many Downloads are left'.  Do you mean the download limits?  If so then you should show your users the 'jDownloads View Limits'What is the check box for? adding a link to T&Cs could be in the layout
Colion
Colin M
  •  

Arno

QuoteAlso whatever layout I select for download details, I have the same "download details" page. Snapshot annexed.
The submitted screenshot is from the 'Summary' page which use the Summary layout type.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Andy-013

Hi Colin and Arno,

Many thanks for your inputs.

I was maybe confused about "download details" and "download summary"

1. "Excluding your template is not really feasible" >>>
(a) It it possible to assign another template ?
P.S. My point is that it can be confusing to get a new window with the main menu etc... showing up.
(b) It it possible to open in a small window / popup (rather than full window) ?
(c) This "download summary" page is associated to the Home Menu, I guess I may be able to change this somewhere ?

2. "You do not have to have Download Details showing by setting a direct download option in the front end settings" >>>
Ok so then it is the "download summary" page which opens up. I found that I need to tweak the "summary layout".
(a) What is the placeholder for T&C in the "download summary" I can't find it.

Many thanks for your help !!!
  •  

ColinM

Hi
There is no placeholder for Terms and Conditions in any of the layouts  - I guess you want to give the user a message so you could create your own license.The place holders {license_title} {license_text} {license_checkbox}are available in the Summary and {license_title} {license_text} in the  Downloads and Downloads Details.
In the Licenses section you can create a new license with its own name.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

Andy-013

Many thanks,

Is it possible to have an menu ID associated to the summary page so that the summary page takes the layout of that menu ID ?

I've seen this option with a few extensions.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
If you want to alter the look of  a jD item then the best way is to use customised CSS in the jdownloads_custom.css file.  This file is the last css file loaded when viewing a jD page.
I will send you a PMColin
Colin M
  •