News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

PFD viewer

Started by Tazzios, 27.12.2020 13:31:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Tazzios

What does it do?
PDF viewer will give the option to embed the PDF.js viewer in the details download page.

How to install?
Unzip the files place the 'component' folder in your joomla root, this contain the pdfjsviewer. Place the file from the 'TEMPLATE' folder in your active template.

How to use?
Add the tag {file_pdfviewer} to the layout 'download details'

Search options and Highlighting
The highlighting with  joomla smartsearch will work by default.
If you also install the 'highlight search' override the search terms will also be highlighted in the pdf when using the jdownloads search.

To make the PDF content (kind of) searchable:
- Create a custom text field (with large pdfs you maybe need multiple)
- Copy the text from the pdf in the textfield

Can I also embed the preview PDF file?
No currently that is not possible because there is no reliable way to access the preview file, see topic:
http://www.jdownloads.com/index.php/support-forum.html?topic=12250.msg45670#msg45670

Old topic: http://www.jdownloads.com/index.php/support-forum.html?topic=8543.msg45586#msg45586

Arno

Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Tazzios

I created a joomla plugin which does not need an override.
It has a lot of extra features compared to the old one.
Prjoect page: https://github.com/Tazzios/pdfviewer
demo: http://marijqg132.132.axc.nl/demopdfviewer/

v0.8 is my first public release* if you find bugs or have suggestions let me know.

*Also my first joomla plugin and real github project.

Arno

Hi Tazzios,
congratulation for this plugin! I will test it very soon.  ;)
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Arno

Hi Tazzios,
I have tested it and it works very well. Good job.  8)

Maybe could you add a few more options?
So it could be useful to display only a few example pages from the document instead the complete file.
Would this be possible?

Also would it be much more flexible when it is possible to define the default linktext as a part from the placeholder and so on.

When it is okay for you I will add your plugin here in the download area.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

Tazzios

Quote from: Arno on 07.04.2021 11:35:24
Hi Tazzios,
I have tested it and it works very well. Good job.  8)

Maybe could you add a few more options?
So it could be useful to display only a few example pages from the document instead the complete file.
Would this be possible?
I also thought about loading only selected pages. It seems possible if i look at some pdfjs examples, but i think the user then has the possibility to retrieve the complete file when checking.

I will look if i can do something with the preview file. But i think i run into this problem without creating an overrride http://www.jdownloads.com/index.php/support-forum.html?topic=12250.msg45670#msg45670

Also would it be much more flexible when it is possible to define the default linktext as a part from the placeholder and so on.
It is already possible to give the textlink in the placeholder
In articles you can do something like:
{ pdfviewer jdownloadsid=2 style=popup linktext="any linktext" }
In my jdownloads demo layout i use the {file_name} to show the filename as download link because els all the linktext would be the same.
linktext="{file_name}"
Or do you mean something else?
That would be a honor. :)
Let me first use the code on 2 production sites this month to see if there are any bugs.
I don`t want to scare users away or get a mailbox overflow.
And maybe include translations.

Can you adjust the topic title >PFD to PDF

Tazzios

Quote from: Arno on 07.04.2021 11:35:24

You can put it now in the download area!  :D
found one (big) bug that is now fixed.

Arno

Hi,
good news.  8)
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

Tazzios

Quote from: Arno on 26.04.2021 11:01:58
Hi,
good news.  8)
I updated the pdfviewer to version 1.0.0. In the download area i see the old version maybe it is possible to link to the github instead of hosting the pdfviewer also on jdownloads?

I`m also busy with getting the plugin on extensions.joomla.org.

Arno

Hi Tazzios,
done!
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •