News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Re: category cannot be deleted - Not a bug!

Started by carin, 15.05.2014 14:45:58

Previous topic - Next topic

carin

A category cannot be deleted as long as it contains sub categories, even when there are no downloads in the sub categories. Deleting all sub categories manually is extremely time consuming when you have a deep level setup.
Joomla 3.2 | jD 3.2 | PHP 5.3 | Apache 2
  •  

Arno

This is a (safety) feature and not a bug.
This handling exist in jDownloads since the first release.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

carin

ok, then maybe it is time to rethink that "feature"  ;)  ... which actually is a bug - a usability bug - if you feel it is necessary to protect the user from accidentally deleting a category, you could bring up a confirmation dialog.
Joomla 3.2 | jD 3.2 | PHP 5.3 | Apache 2
  •  

ColinM

Hi Carin
I think you are being a little unkind perhaps - it is a design feature but one which obviously you do not like for a very practical reason.  I too have found it annoying having to work backwards through all the sub categories.  An alternative to a simple 'Are you sure' scheme might be to allow 'delete category and its sub categories if unpublished'.  This  also requires a positive user step, but it is I suggest a more meaningful step particularly as some people have their mouse set up to automatically focus on a question..

Perhaps we should put this into the suggestion forum stream.

Colin 

Colin M
  •  

TLWebdesign

Has this ever been implemented? I now had to delete a category through the phpmyadmin.
  •  

Arno

Quote from: TLWebdesign on 14.08.2020 12:06:28
Has this ever been implemented? I now had to delete a category through the phpmyadmin.
Why? It is not recommended to use this 'specially' way.
To delete all sub categories from a main category required normally only a few seconds. By the way, in 13 years you are only the second user who does not like our normal delete handling.  ;)
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •