News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

category error message in backend jdownlowds create edit download

Started by wacl3, 11.03.2020 02:06:48

Previous topic - Next topic

wacl3

category error message in backend jdownlowds create edit download
please see attacthed.
I did recently delete a category after moving all downloads that were in that category to new category,,,I did not rebuild the categories then but have since.

I dont have many downloads in the site yet, just test items,,,
I was wondering if I deleted all the downloads would this fix the issue, I think something somewhere is still looking forthe deleted category.
  •  

wacl3

•  

ColinM

Hi
Actually to delete a category then it has to be empty, that is no sub cats and no downloads in the Cat or any of its subcats.
When you 'movedd the Downloads how did you do that?  You cannot do it by moving files with a file manager as the Downloads are more than than just the Downloadable file.
To check if things are good the jD control panel and on the Status tab in panel on righthand side and click on 'Check Download Area now' link
If you do want to move Categories or Downloads then use the Batch facility..
I do not recognise the error message you are showing.  Do you have a special error handler?>  And what Debug level have you set in 'Error Reporting' in System - Global Config - Server tab?  If you set it to Maximum or Development you will get many warning type errors as it will be looking for extreme strict things that may be deprecated or similar.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

wacl3

Hi,
I think I have recreated the error..
1) created category "cats & dogs"
2) put dwonloads in category "cats & dogs"
3) created new category, "kennals"
4) moved downloads to kennels" category by opening edit download in back end of each download, changing category from "cats & dogs" to "kennels" then saving each one
5) deleting "category "cats & dogs"
same error in backend downloads edit form.
I think it may be the ampresan "&" symbol in a category name???
thanks
ads
  •  

Arno

Thanks for the hints. I will try to fix it next week.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

ColinM

@Arno
Tried this in jD3.9 and no problem as described but the symbol did not transfer.  Also Author and website did not transfer.  There may be others.  Price did transfer, as did  a tag.
@wacl3Could not reproduce in 3.2 either.   I tried where the two Cats were subcats of the same top level cats. And also when Cats & Dogs and Kennels were each top level categories.Could you please be more explicit about the test setupThanks
Colin
Colin M
  •  

Arno

Quote@wacl3 Could not reproduce in 3.2 either.
I too could not reproduce this behaviour.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

wacl3

I treied to delete another category and it reproduced same error

I think I know what the problem is that I created and deleted and changed many categories over the last few months designing the system.
so there are categories with aliass and directories that are have been messed up.  Is it possible to clean out all downloads, categories etc to make it default again? 
thanks
  •  

ColinM

Hi
To start again it is best to first delete all the Downloads in the Backend from the Downloads View. Tick the Box next to Title and that will select all visible Downloads.  Then Click on Delete.  This will delete both the Files and the individual database entries.  If you just delete or move things with a 'file manager or FTP then chaos ensues as the database entries still remain!!
I would suggest you show say 100 Downloads, not All, as the deletion could take exceed your permitted site php time allocation.  Just repeat for each set.
Next go to Categories in the Backend and basically do the same thing - BUT you need to work backwards through the tree deleting first the lowest level of subcat so you cannot use ticking all.
If on a future occaision you want to move Downloads or categories then use the Batch Facilities.
Best wishes
Colin
Colin M
  •