News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Sorting of Downloads Search results - [Not a bug!]

Started by Florian, 15.01.2024 19:31:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Florian

Hi,

I have a bug with sorting of Search results. A serch brings for example 18 results. Only first 11 results are sorted according to selected criteria Alphabetical As of entry 12 it is random order. Reversing newest / oldest does also not bring result from bottom to top and vice versa.

jD 4.0.39, J 4.4.2
Happy Coding with Joomla and jDownloads
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Created 20 downloads with common part of name.
Also using jD 4.0.39, J 4.4.2
Used Alphabetical search
Tested with the jD Search Button.  Files were in several categories
The search results were orded AOK!!
Colin

Is it possible saearch was interupted?
Colin M
  •  

Florian

Hi Colin,

I wish it was the same for me. I have 18 Downloads in my search. And 11 are sorted correctly from "A" to "S"-. Then it starts in 12 with "3D ---"

Another example attached: Sorted first with "Newest Fist" (1st 2 screenshots) and then "Latest First" to show that it does not list from the end.

•  

ColinM

Florian,
I wonder if this has anything to do with multilanguage version.

Also in some areas jD is looking at file names rather than file titles
Will send you a Private Message
Colin
Colin M
  •  

Arno

Quote from: Florian on 15.01.2024 19:31:22Hi,

I have a bug with sorting of Search results. A serch brings for example 18 results. Only first 11 results are sorted according to selected criteria Alphabetical As of entry 12 it is random order. Reversing newest / oldest does also not bring result from bottom to top and vice versa.

jD 4.0.39, J 4.4.2
Hi,
this is not really a bug, more a special feature.  ;)
The order takes relevance into account and in this case a search term found in the title is more important than a search term found in the description, for example.

See my example below from our demo website.

By the way, when you create a menu item from type 'Search Downloads' your users have much more options, see second pic.

And please don't remove the titles in your answers!
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Florian

Hi Arno,

great that you explain the reason and my users learned to live with it. But please forgive me: This seems confusing. Even Colin could not answer my question and obviously was not aware of this "feature" too.

I propose that you mark it as "Search by Relevance" and create a second alphabetical Search as well.
  •  

Arno

Quote from: Florian on 03.03.2024 19:23:42Hi Arno,

great that you explain the reason and my users learned to live with it. But please forgive me: This seems confusing. Even Colin could not answer my question and obviously was not aware of this "feature" too.

I propose that you mark it as "Search by Relevance" and create a second alphabetical Search as well.

Colin does the documentation and moderates the forum, but as he is not the developer, he doesn't know everything down to the smallest detail. Even I often have to look things up, because it's simply impossible to remember all the details of all the functions.

By the way, the search in jDownloads behaves exactly like the former Joomla Search component. So I don't understand what is confusing about it. Only the reference to this is probably missing and could be added.

I could add an additional option for a 'normal' alphabetical order, but that will have to wait a little longer, as the next version is already finished and will be released these days.

Edit:
Incidentally, there is also the option of using the newer and improved Finder component from Joomla instead of the old com_search component. jDownloads provides the two plugins required for this, which then only need to be activated before indexing. With Smart Search/Finder you can also provide more sorting options in the frontend.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •