News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

must try everyone!

Started by stingleya, 22.03.2011 18:06:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Baytowne

I have Windows 7 and I don't think I will take the risk if it only works marginally.  Thank you for the update!

Jony999

Thanks great info. Interesting

syapa

thanks for info

RVanCamp

Thanks, we shall see how this goes!
--- R. VanCamp
  •  

DaveWilson

It made a noticeable difference on my windows 7 system.  :)
  •  

Kolega

Quote from: stingleya on 22.03.2011 18:06:00
tired of slow internet? follow these steps to get a fast internet experience!

1.   Go to desktop->
My computer-(right click on)->properties->
then go HARDWARE tab->
Device manager->
Now u see a window of Device manager then
go to Ports->
Communication Port(double click on it and Open).
After open u can see a Communication Port properties.
Go the Port Setting:----and now increase your "Bits per second" to 128000 and "Flow control" change to Hardware.
Apply and see the result.
2.   click START > RUN > type  gpedit.msc
go to local computer policy > administrative templates > network > QOS PACKET SCHEDULER > double click LIMIT RESERVABLE BANDWIDTH , it will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab
click enable then set the value of bandwidth to "0" ZERO.
3.   click START > RUN > type  gpedit.msc
go to local computer policy > administrative templates > network > QOS PACKET SCHEDULER > background intelligent transfer service > double click MAXIMUM NETWORK BANDWIDTH THAT BITS USES (BITS - Binary Intelligent Transfer Service, BITS uses HTTP. BITS downloads files using the standard Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) and requires Internet Information Server (IIS) to be running on the server that serves the files. HTTP packets pass more easily through firewalls, which makes BITS a good choice for getting files from the Internet.)
choose enabled
limit bits transfer rate to ?0?
from 12:00am
to 12:00am
check use all available bandwidth
4.   now for the last part
go to start>run>regedit>then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters

right click anywhere in the right side of the window then select NEW DWORD, then input the dword name, after the new registry entry is made, double click it and input the dword value.

Don?t mess with these! CASE SENSITIVE!
dword name-SackOpts dword value-00000001
dword name-TcpWindowSize dword value-0005ae4c
dword name-Tcp1323Opts dword value-00000003
dword name-DefaultTTL dword value-00000040
dword name-EnablePMTUBHDetect dword value-00000000
dword name-EnablePMTUDiscovery dword value-00000001
dword name-GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize dword value-0005ae4c

Works best in windows xp GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the great tips it is really useful but only on xp
  •  

Bradlea

I was sick of slow internet speed but these tips are very good to use and very informative
  •  

Michaelholt01

Doesn't the speed depend on how old your computer is and how much software you have downloaded on it as well? Just curious...because I noticed that was happening to me as I added more software that I actually needed to perform certain functions on my computer (an older version), I just had to get a newer computer with more RAM...had the same amount of software installed, by the slowness disappeared.

Michael

Sarahjane

Thanks! I may be changing internet service providers, I will try this today to see if this helps with some of the lag I am getting.

Thank you again.
  •  

PacOceanGirl

Hey that really looks like something worth giving it a go.

I have the need for speed.  ;D
  •  

benjie

Will it also work in windows 8?
  •  

jigs

awesome bro,
i try it , its working like a charm.
  •  

randomk

All you're doing here is enabling "Jumbo Frames" and then setting your windowing to make use of them. That's all fine and well until you plug into a router/switch/modem that doesn't support non-standard frame sizes, at which point your traffic becomes unroutable. While Windows 7 does have some TCP window size auto-adjust out of the box it is very buggy and often does more harm than good to performance. The steps listed by the OP will help sequential file transfer speeds but will likely hurt latency dependent applications that use very small packets (think VoIP, gaming, SNMP, etc). A more sane way to get the same (or very nearly identical) sequential throughput without affecting such apps, or potentially breaking things, would be to make use of the built-in windowing options in Windows 7/XP. The upshot here is that it's also a lot easier to set up (I turn the Windows 7 commands into a bash file and run them on all new machines myself). If you run OSX or *nix then you already have a much better version of this same setup.

Windows 7/Vista/2008/2008 R2 is simple. Just two netsh commands and you're done. One to enable the proper congestion avoidance setting for larger frames, one to enable a more conservative approach to auto-windowing (so you can fall back to standard frames if a device doesn't like your jumbo ones). In Server 2008 (but not R2) the CTCP setting listed is the default, but we'll run it anyway to be safe. Be sure to run it as administrator if you do make a bash script as you won't get any output to tell you it didn't run correctly. Also, remember to reboot afterwards.
netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=highlyrestricted

Windows XP has auto-windowing built in but it's disabled in the registry because jumbo frames wasn't well supported by network hardware when the OS was released. Paste the following in a notepad window and save it as a ".reg" file to have the necessary keys updated automagically. You will obviously need administrative rights to run this too. It works the same way as auto-windowing in Windows 7 as of SP3 (if you don't have SP3 then it just scales up more slowly). Again, reboot afterwards to reload the network stack.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AFD\Parameters]
"DefaultSendWindow"=dword:00100000
"DefaultReceiveWindow"=dword:00100000
"FastSendDatagramThreshold"=dword:00004000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"Tcp1323Opts"=dword:00000001
"TcpWindowSize"=dword:00100000

Just a note, in Windows 8/2012 auto-windowing is set correctly out of the box so nothing to worry about there. Still not worth dealing with the metro/modern UI, but I digress...
  •  

authvn

My window really slow on my mac, any suggestion guys? :( i dont want to reinstall it thou.
  •  

SusanJohnsonrps

Thanks for post. I need this information to speed up my internet.
  •