News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

root_dir parameter obsolete?

Started by Tazzios, 19.08.2021 16:30:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Tazzios

In the params in the database I find:
"files_uploaddir" and "root_dir".
the first one you can change from the backend the second one cannot be changed.
I used the second one for getting the filepath in my pdfviewer plugin, which gives some problems when cloning sites because root_dir does not change.

Is "root_dir" something obsolete and should i use "files_uploaddir" ?

ColinM

Tazzios,
"files_uploaddir" has the address of where the 'categories' start, that is basically the location of the jdownloads directory.  It could be described as the "data root".
"root_dir" is definitely not obselete!! It is used in various places and has variable contents. In some places it is the same as the "files_uploaddir" and in others it is formed from the Joomla 'root'.  It is more like a working variable.
So yes you should be using "files_uploaddir" when locating the start of the categories and so on.

Best wishesColin
Colin M
  •  

Tazzios

Quote from: ColinM on 20.08.2021 10:12:35
Tazzios,
"files_uploaddir" has the address of where the 'categories' start, that is basically the location of the jdownloads directory.  It could be described as the "data root".
"root_dir" is definitely not obselete!! It is used in various places and has variable contents. In some places it is the same as the "files_uploaddir" and in others it is formed from the Joomla 'root'.  It is more like a working variable.
In the database they both  contain the same value. If root_dir has sometimes an other value in the code the value probably extracted from somewhere else instead of the database. ;)

If root_dir is neccesary it would benice if there is an edit field in options to that it can bechanged when i site is copied to an other location. Else testenviroments,cloning and staging which, are very handy to use for building testing and updating, won`t work with jdownloads because root_dir will always contains the absolutete from the original installation. Altough in a quick test where i change the value from root_dir in the database  to 'xxx' all basic functions still seems to work. I noticed teh value is updated if i click save at the jdownload options but where it gets the info from is unclear.     
QuoteSo yes you should be using "files_uploaddir" when locating the start of the categories and so on.

Best wishesColin
I will change my code to use the "files_uploaddir" parameter

ColinM

Tazzios
$root_directory is one of those strictly internal items.  It is not meant to be a user accessible item.  I often clone with XAMPP and it gives no problem
Colin
Colin M
  •