News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

User rights for user groups

Started by GeminiWhite, 21.10.2015 13:48:47

Previous topic - Next topic

GeminiWhite

Hello,
I understand posting in English is preferred? (My Joomla is German, so please accept my apologies if I miss the right English expression).
Currently I update from Joomla 2.5 --> 3.x with the help of XAMPP.
So I updated JDownloads as well (currently I use V 3.2.39 from 2.x). Basically I am looking for a feature which was formerly user rights "Special" : Everybody can see, but only certain groups may download (this worked fine with jdownloads 2.5) Now, I understand, as what I have read in this forum / documentation,  I can give different right in groups? In my case I thought "Public" may see all, but may not download. Please see attachment user rights 1.jpg
Then, I wanted to allow "Download" rights to the "registered" and "Downloads" group. But it is giving me a conflict and I cannot see why?
What do I do wrong? I cannot figure out and ask for help.

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Thanks for putting in English - my German is only good enough for a tourist!!

Your problem is likely that somewhere you have set a Deny privilege, probably in a Public User Group (UG)
One concept that is often  not explained well is that UG permissions cascade from a UG down to its children.  The base is the Public UG so if you set something there every other UG will inherit the permission.  Also the Deny permission cannot ever be overcome further down the chain.  So if you deny something at the Public UG everyone, except Super Users who are a very special case, will be denied access.

I also had this trouble in understanding initially.

Have you seen the documentation at
http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/category/access-controls-and-user-group-permissions

You may find the following article useful
http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/controlled-access-to-categories-and-downloads

If you are unable to resolve then the best way would be to send me  Super User details by PM and I will look to see what is the problem.  UG permissions work very well but they are not as straightforward as they appear initially!

The next challenge you may face is setting the Users Groups Settings for uploaders.  A key thing there is to set the User Group ranking of the uploaders UG to a ranking higher than 100.  This is because any user with a login automatically belongs to more than one UG, even if you only ticked one UG in their 'login' page.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

GeminiWhite

Hello Colin,
Thank you for your fast response. Next time when you will be a tourist in the south of Germany let me know, so that I can pay the beer  ;).
I think the problem is that "Download" in Public UG is denied. However, my understanding was that the child UG (Regisered, Downloads) could override this DENY of Public UG  to ALLOW. Guess I am wrong here...
My main goal is, that visitors of the internet site are able to see which downloads are available, but to start the download it is expected to logon first (not everybody should have access, in addition I am interested who downloaded). This was solved in jdownloads 2.5 pretty easy. Maybe there is another way to achieve this?
Does sending Super User details via PM make sense? The website I am talking about is local at this time, only. I use XAMPP to simulate everything before I upload it to my provider and put it online then.
Your advice is highly appreciated. Thank you.
Ruediger

Oh:and thanks for the hint with the upcoming challenge; I think this not a problem, since users will not be eligible for uploads.
  •  

ColinM

Hi

As you said sending details for XAMPP site is not useful.  Basically if you find you need to use a Deny within jD setups then it is probably wrong!
Guess you have permissions sorted out.

If you look in Config - email tab you can get an email sent every time someone downloads

Colin
Colin M
  •