News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

jDownloads frontend is very slow

Started by Makulia, 17.11.2015 21:08:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Makulia

Hello, Arno!

I have faced very poor jDownloads frontend performance.

There is 3,741 files and 754 categories. I have enabled joomla debug console and fetched some data.
There is over 2262 sql queris on jdownloads root page with 9 main categories page loads about 11 sec or more.
21 repeated sql queris.

I have tried different jdownloads version, including latest one on Joomla 3.4.5 and php 5.6.
I guess that it is not a big amount of data, because I have joomgallery with more then 30k of photos and it run's smoothly.

May be you can help find this bottle neck!

Some very slow places:
702.63 ms

SELECT c.*, 
  CASE WHEN CHAR_LENGTH(c.alias) THEN CONCAT_WS(':', c.id, c.alias) ELSE c.id END as slug,COUNT(files.`file_id`) AS numitems,u.name AS creator,u2.name AS modifier,menu.id AS menu_itemid

FROM kport_jdownloads_categories as c

LEFT JOIN `kport_jdownloads_files` AS files 
  ON files.`cat_id` = c.id 
  AND files.published = 1

LEFT JOIN kport_users AS u 
  on u.id = files.created_id

LEFT JOIN kport_users AS u2 
  on u2.id = files.modified_id

LEFT JOIN kport_menu AS menu 
  on menu.link LIKE CONCAT('index.php?option=com_jdownloads&view=category&catid=',c.id,'%') 
  AND menu.published = 1 
  AND menu.access IN (1,1,2,7,8,11,21,22,23,24,25,26,28,29,32,34)

WHERE c.access IN (1,1,2,7,8,11,21,22,23,24,25,26,28,29,32,34) 
  AND c.published = 1

GROUP BY c.id, c.cat_dir, c.cat_dir_parent, c.parent_id, c.lft, c.rgt, c.level, c.title, c.alias, c.description, c.pic, c.access, c.metakey, c.metadesc, c.robots,
                       c.created_user_id, c.created_time, c.modified_user_id, c.modified_time, c.language, c.notes, c.views, c.params, c.password, c.password_md5, c.ordering, c.published, c.checked_out, c.checked_out_time, c.asset_id

ORDER BY c.title ASC

•  

Arno

Hi,
QuoteThere is 3,741 files and 754 categories. I have enabled joomla debug console and fetched some data.
There is over 2262 sql queris on jdownloads root page with 9 main categories page loads about 11 sec or more.

I know some users which have more Downloads and categories as you. 
But nobody has posted a problem like yours. So it can be that your server settings are not the best.

Please send me a link to the problem via PM.

You should also deactivate the 'Categories select box' in the header.

I think you know that a database handling is a very tricky and not so easy. And a slowly connection must not be really a 'bug'. Because the results are correct. But maybe it is possible to optimize the queries.

Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Makulia

Thank you, Arno!

Categories select box is already deactivated.
Yes, I think, that problem lays in queries. Web server seems pretty solid: 8 cores Xeon with 24GB Ram, SSD, Ubuntu 15.10 on board. Apache 2.4+php 5.6+mysql 5.6. I have noticed that while i am requesting my jDownloads root page, CPU load rises to 100% due to mysql process.

I do not like to compare jDownloads with other products, but only to clarify that it is not DB server issue - Joomgallery with 30k photos and around 270 categories performs with no problems (debugged and can confirm that number of queries and their execution time is much less). Basic idea is that both product is kind of "directory" software with category nesting option, able to handle big amount of data.

I would be awesome if we could improve performance of jDownloads! If you need any information from me, just let me know.

Disabled:
Downloads logging
Directory monitoring

I have sent PM to you.
Any help will be more then wellcome. It you need additional info, just let me know.