News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Fatal bug using Hebrew UTF-8 chars [solved in 3.2.17]

Started by theguy, 21.07.2014 19:18:37

Previous topic - Next topic

theguy

Hi guys,

I've downloaded the latest Jdownloads (3.2.9 Beta) version and installed it on my Joomla! 3.3.1 site. Installation was fine and after I've enabled the UTF-8 function under "files and folders" I was able to create a category in Hebrew just fine. Before I've enabled the option the characters were replaced with a date and time stamp - this goes for files as well. BUT, uploaded files with Hebrew names were replaced with blank names. So, for example, a file named ניסיון.docx was renamed to just .docx.
This caused a fatal error when trying to reach this files.

Please see attached screen shots:
Bug1 - Screen shot of the error screen after trying to download the file.
Bug2 - Screen shot of the front end showing the file renamed to .docx only.
Bug3 - Screen shot of file after manual rename.

This happened both on the front end upload and on the back end.

Thing I've tried already:
1. Thought it had something to do with "Remove/Change special characters in name?" so I've disabled it but that wasn't it.
2. Double checked my server. My server supports UTF-8 and most of my sites are in Hebrew so it couldn't be a server side issue as well.
3. Tried to rename the file to English and it worked just fine.
4. Tried to disable UTF-8 option and the file was uploaded and renamed automatically to date and time. The file was downloadable here as well.
5. Tired to add the file name manually. The name was saved (see image 3) and the file was downloaded but it was named docx.docx

Will be happy to know how to fix this issue.

Thank you for the amazing job your doing on this wonderful component.

Regards,

Guy.

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

Arno

Hi,
sorry for the late reply but i was very busy in the last weeks.

It seems that we have not tested your scenario. So we must do it here to find a solution. But we need a little bit time for it.
We apologise for any inconvenience.  :-\
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

theguy

Hi Arno,

Thank you very much for letting me know. There's really no room to feel sorry about the late response. You're doing a wonderful job on this extension which we are all thankful for.
I'll be more then happy to help you in any way I can to resolve this issue so please feel free to contact me and let me know.

Thank you again for your great product,

Guy.
  •  

theguy

Hi Arno,

Another bug I've discovered regarding UTF-8 chars... I'm trying to upload files for the download section via FTP and titles of files with Hebrew chars get replaced with stars and other chars (see attached image shot). This happened to folders titles with Hebrew chars as well. In addition, now I get error 1064 when loging into Jdownloads control panel and the page is all messed up (see second attached image). The error was resolved after I've deleted all uploaded files and folders.

Hope you'll be able to fix this soon as the site will go live in a couple of week  :-\

Thank you in advance,

Guy.

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

Arno

Hi,
are you really sure that your server supported utf-8 in the servers filesystem? Please contact your hoster.

And how have you uploaded this files? Which program have you use for this?
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

theguy

Hi Arno,

As the majority of my sites are in Hebrew, yes I'm pretty sure my server supports file system but I will contact the host just in case. I'm using Filezilla to upload my files but this issue had happened while using the front and back end upload option as well.

I'll get back to you as soon as I finish checking with my host provider.

Thank you again,

Guy.
  •  

Arno

Hi,
QuoteAs the majority of my sites are in Hebrew,
The content from your website has nothing to do with this.
If I remember rightly support filezilla not utf-8 filenames.  ::)

It is not easy to get a full working utf-8 upload solution. It exists here many problems.
I think this is also the reason, why nearly all download manager supported only alphanumerical characters in the filename.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

theguy

Just contacted Bluehost support to be 100% sure and the answer is definitely yes. My server supports utf-8 in the servers files system.
As for Filezilla, I've transferred files with Hebrew titles many times before and never had any issue with it.
Just tried uploading some files in Russian and I get the same problem as in Hebrew but without the control panel bug.
  •  

theguy

Hi Arno,

Any chance to try and solve this bug I'm having? I'm willing to pay for your help...

Thank you in advance,

Guy.
  •  

Arno

Maybe can this be a hint?
http://www.jdownloads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7528.msg29494#msg29494

Please note that your problem is not really a bug in jDownloads.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

Makulia

Quote from: theguy on 25.08.2014 07:40:43
Hi Arno,

Any chance to try and solve this bug I'm having? I'm willing to pay for your help...

Thank you in advance,

Guy.

I have solved this bug. Solution is provided here: http://www.jdownloads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7528.msg29701#msg29701
  •  

Arno

Hi,
the solution from Makulia will be a part from the next beta updates.
Many thanks.  8)
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

theguy

Hi Arno thank you very much.
Was this solution already been implemented in the current version?

•  

Arno

Hi,
all hints by Makulia are already added in the current release. But i had not the time to check this extensively with a lot of languages.
But i do trust him as he had many hours spent to find this solution.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

theguy

•