News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Placing 800 files and folders in jDownloads root produced 8000 entries! [SOLVED]

Started by frazelle09, 19.12.2016 18:05:11

Previous topic - Next topic

frazelle09

Am running Joomla! 3.6.5 and the most recent version of jDownloads on a remote server.     My pHp info is:

The maximum size of the files depends on the current settings on your server as set in the php.ini file. The current values relevant for uploads are shown below. Please check that the values are set high enough. If you do not have access to the php.ini file,then contact your host support services. You can find information about the parameters in www.php.net.

Allowed file uploads:    Yes
Maximum allowed file size (max_filesize):    32M
Maximum allowed POST size: (post_max_size):    64M
Memory limit (memory_limit):    128M
Maximum input time for uploads (max_input_time) in seconds:    60
Maximum execution time of scripts (max_execution_time) in seconds:    90
.  This is a new install of jDownloads.

After installation, i uploaded some 800 files and directories to jDownloads root then, watched the site's backend produce these statistics:
QuoteThe download archive currently contains 8,858 Downloads in 139 categories. To date, these have been downloaded 0 times. There are 130 categories and 8,839 Downloads that are not published.
This took almost 6 hours.  At the end i still couldn't believe that i was now looking at over 8,000 "uncategorized" files that i was going to have to manipulate.  So, i used the "Downloads" button on the left hand side of jDownload's main page and see that we have over 440 pages of mostly uncategoriezed files.  440 pages x 20 items per page = > 8,000 files.

What do i need to do?  i'll never finish sorting 8,000 files into their categories - lol.  Have a great morning!  :)

Edit:  O.k.  It's the next morning now and i went into my hosting site server to see if i could tell how many files/folders were actually in /jdownloads/.  i happily see that the directory structure looks fairly normal, with only the 800 or so files and subdirectories.  i think i've seen some "Reset" buttons in jDownloader so i'll go see if i can find them and see what they say and if i can correct this 8,000 files business in the backend.
"The earth is one country and mankind its citizens"
- Bahá'u'lláh -
"La tierra es un sólo país y la humanidad sus ciudadanos."
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I have actually looked at this post several times and have been wondering on the best solution as we have not seen this previously.
I presume this is a first time load.
So I think that the auto monitoring got 'confused', this maybe related to the length of execution time allowed by your site php where it may have stopped and started or something similar.  I tried to reproduce but failed.

One way of solving the problem would be to edit the database but that can be challenging so not recommended

As it is a new installation I suggest you completely uninstall jD Component , modules, plugins, data base and files - presume you have a copy of your downloadable files.  Then reinstall jD and let it create the jdownloads directory.  Go to Config - Monitoring tab and set field 'Download Directory Monitoring?' to No. Yopu might also want to set field 'Automatically Publish Downloads?' to Yes. Then load some of your top level dierctories (categories) and subdirectories and any files into the jdownloads directory. Next got to the jD Control Panel and on the Status tab of the Status pane and click on 'Check Download Area Now' link.

This should create the Categories and Downloads.  You may need to go to Categoris and Publish them.  If all is OK then Add more sub dirs and files, say 200 at a time.

If it is still a problem please PM me wilth super admin details
Colin
Colin M
  •  

frazelle09

Thanks, Colin.  i really appreciate your replying!
After spending several hours deleting the files and categories, we tried out a couple of other downloader programs and still couldn't find a fit to our needs.  But at least we thought we had an empty database and when we finally deleted jDownloader, it very kindly asked if we wanted to delete the files and categories - sigh - if we'd only known.
So, currently we just have a URL to our files on the server and from the hoster's CPanel (or whatever it is) we've locked it with a Username and Password.It's not very automatic.  It's a pain to upload new files.  But at least they're available for download.
This also allows us to use our FTP access to the files and directories in order to better organize the directory structure (it's just leagues easier to use a two-pane file manager for file and directory manipulation than any other type of program). Plus, a file manager program also allows me to open the files and look at their contents, something i never found i could do. i need to do this because i didn't create these files and some of them need to go into different subdirectories.
Anyway, thanks again for replying and have a great afternoon!  :)
- Bahá'u'lláh -
  •  

ColinM

Colin M
  •  

frazelle09

O.K., Colin.  Thanks again for all your help.

Have a great afternoon!  :)
- Bahá'u'lláh -
  •