News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Preview image is missing

Started by donlussi, 29.03.2016 20:07:51

Previous topic - Next topic

donlussi

I have selected a file as a preview file but it doesn't show on the frontend.  What do I need to do to get it to work?

Thanks
Donna
  •  

ColinM

Hi
This is a simple enquiry not a bug! So I have moved it to General.
A preview file is either an Image file or an audio or video file.  You can have multiple images and either one audio or one video file.  You also need your selected Files and Download Details files to be able to show them.

The audio or Video file is uploaded in the Files section of the Upload form.  Images are uploaded in the Images section. In both cases you need to specify which file types will be allowed to be uploaded.  For the Backend this is controlled by Config.  For the Front End upload it is controlled by the highest ranking User Group to which the 'uploader' belongs in the Users Groups Settings.  I usually have my Uploaders UG with a high ranking such as 123.

Please see which might help
http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/introduction-to-user-group-settings
http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/which-user-group-is-used?category_id=29

Colin
Colin M
  •  

donlussi

Colin, it not working right.  I have attached some images that show you I have 2 image files for the 55 gallon drum.  One is a picture of a drum and one of an orange.  In the preview section I chose the orange.

When I go to the front end I see the drum??? Why not the orange like I selected?

Also, why are the words writing on top of the image?

Thanks
Donna

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Perhaps I have not made it clear enough! 
Preview files and Images are not the same thing.  The Preview files are only Audio or Video formats such as mp3, mp4, oga, ogv, webm and similar.  They are specified in the Files tab of the upload form.  The Images such as jpg, png and so on are loaded in the Images tab of the Upload form.  Also as I mentioned previuosly one needs to specify the allowed file types either in Config for Backend or User Groups Settings for the Front End for each uploader UG.

The first image you upload is number 1, the second is number 2 and so on.  Which image (pic) is shown depends on the Files Layout you have activated; and also on the active Download Details layout at that stage.  For example if you use the Standard Files Layout v2.5 it only shows the first image you uploaded.  You can show more by copying the layout and editing it (please see documentation).  If you are using the Standard Details Layout v2.5 - Full Info then it shows up to 10 images.

I do not know what is causing the description to overlay the image.  That should not happen.  Could you please let me know which Files and which Download Details layouts you have activated.  Did you download a prerelease v3.2 layout and the css file?  If that is the case then that will have been fixed.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

donlussi

Ok, now I understand.  Thank you for taking the time to answer.  As a suggestion, maybe a description would be nice in the Preview section as to what is uploadable or if trying to upload an image maybe an error message should appear to us that it's only for media files.

I haven't changed any layout.  I am using all defaults.
I am using the latest jDownloads that you offer on your site.  It's com_jdownloads_3.2.41_J32
  •  

ColinM

Donna,
If you upload from the Front End then the types of Preview file permitted are shown, and can be added to in User Groups Settings fot the Uploader UG. But fotr the backend we do not have such a config parameter.

Colin
Colin M
  •