News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Permissions in categories

Started by manny, 07.11.2014 11:16:52

Previous topic - Next topic

manny

Hi,
I am having a problem where I am only able to download files that are in a category starting with the letter A.

However, if I search or go directly to a file in a category starting with B to Z, I either get no download link, or see the usual You do not have permission to download this file. message.

Is there a setting I have missed, perhaps?

Many thanks :)

(Logged in as Super-User, I don't have any problems.)

EDIT - not sure if this is relevant, but all files are automatically added via directory monitoring.

•  

ColinM

Hi
This is most likely to be the Permission settings (ACL) for each user group.  There are a couple of articles on setting permissions.

Except for auto monitoring, in jD 3.2.15 permissions now cascade from parent to child when new cats or downloads were created.  The next beta release (3.2.16, due any day now) should have the permissions propagating from parent to child all the way down the chain for auto monitoring as well.

The top level categories take their permissions from the Component permissions.  So advisable to set those up how you want them before you create the categories etc.
It is probably worthwhile chaining down another category letter as I suspect it was the auto-monitoring doing it for the first category but not quite right for the others.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

manny

Hi Colin,
Thanks for answering and also for the explanation, it's appreciated. :)

I've just checked the component permissions and the Registered user group has permissions to download.
(It's the only group that have download permissions apart from the super-user.)

The odd thing is, all my categories are at the same level (i.e. No parent category)

So all files in categories named....

Analyser, Alert, Audio --- are ok to download.

However, files in categories named...

Bed, Charger, Monitor, Pump etc. --- are not downloadable.

I have manually set the permissions on some files and they will download ok.
However, there are going to be several hundred of them and manually assigning permissions to each file would be a mamoth task.

I wonder why this issue started after the letter A?

•  

ColinM

Hi Manny
Its because the auto-monitoring function does not work properly for permissions  yet - it will be fixed in 3.2.16 which is due in a day or so.

Also there will be a new tool that will cascade the permissions down from a selected category which I hope will be in 3.2.16 but may be 3.2.17.

What I have not tried is loading each top category and its children one at a time.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

manny

Thanks Colin.

We'll just wait for the new version. :)

All the best.
  •