News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Download Method

Started by wolfspyryt, 29.09.2016 20:38:09

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfspyryt

I resolved the problem it seems... as the downloads are now lightning fast. I wish I could say what it was...
We restarted the MySql... I removed the Extrawatch component (Which was disabled anyway), I also removed all the ExtraWatch database tables.
The Hosting engineers feel it was the restart of the MySql...

Now all I need to do is figure out why the page load time is so high!!! I need to resize and optimize all images... however last time I did that many of the downloads had changed to the same image. So I am apprehensive to do that.
  •  

ColinM

Terry
Very pleased that the download delay has been resolved. It is now the same on your site as it is from my test site.

To resize the pictures I wound suggest you actually download the  Screenshots subdirectory of images/jdownloads with the images using FileZilla or similar.
There are  utilities like pix-resizer that will resize an entire directory and put results in another directory.  You can then reload the pics provided they have exactly the same name. Try a few pics to see. you could also re-size the thumbnails on the web site using jD

Colin
Colin M
  •  

wolfspyryt

There are over 18000 images not counting thumbnails etc.  Will JD resize that many?  Or is it safer to do it with a secondary program by downloading the image directories and resizing then re-uploading.
  •  

ColinM

Terry
The limitation is not so much jD but rather the time allowed etc by the server. I would definitely use an ftp such as File Zilla to download, resize and upload.  But do just a few as a test initially.
This way you can see tif the resultant quality is ok.  Remember it is the bits/inch that is critical rather than just the on screen dimensions of the pic.
Colin
PS I am curious what 'restarted the MySql' does in your case.  Did you have a lot of deletions?
Colin
Colin M
  •  

wolfspyryt

Colin,
The removal of ExtraWatch did not remove the mysql tables.  I removed manually.  We also restarted mysql services. Now the problem I face is the watch face category is loading very slowly across all devices and users.  Uploading is also slow, sometimes causing a timeout. I cannot understand,  as other categories are very quick...  The Watch Face category is very slow.  Testing on pingdom shows the same results...  Watch Face category is slow and other categories are fast.
  •  

ColinM

Terry
I have just used Firebug to see your page loading times. On the few pages I tested it is taking around 10 seconds to load the a watchface page. There are two factors.

You have 10 pictures/page and these are taking between 250msec to 1100msec each to scale and load, so on average it is taking 5 seconds, 500msec/pic, of 'picture time' when loading a page. For example the following pics from current first page (all in /images/jdownloads/screenshots/thumbnails/)
photogrid_1479884506187.png  875 msec
u294.jpg  175msec
/montblanc_timewalker_cover.png  656msec
So getting the thumbnails sized would be beneficial.

There is another 5 seconds 'waiting' time.  This is most likely because you have nearly 6000 Downloads in the watchface category.  These then have to be sorted within the database to most recent order.  This depends on the speed of the database processor, its sort algorithm and of course the number if items

There are thus two things to assist.  One is to get the pictures to the correct size and resolution so they do not take so much time.
The second aspect is to consider putting watch faces into sub categories.  Very old watch faces may not be much used for example.
The 'wait' time for Watch Hands was just over a second but the pictures took as long to process as the Watch page pics.

Colin
Colin M
  •