News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Download button dissapeared and couple of other questions

Started by NejcT, 06.11.2016 10:40:14

Previous topic - Next topic

NejcT

Dear users and developers.

I'm facing a couple of problems using jDownloads on my website. I hope you can advise me how to resolve my problems. First, recently I was changing the layouts of the jdownload platform, and from then on, when I upload a file (doc, pdf...) I miss the download button when it is shown on the website. Where can I turn it on again?

I also have a problem for the file upload, as I unchecked all the boxes in the group creation/editing settings except file and category, but every time I want to upload a file, and I move between the tabs (category and files), the previous one dissappears and I'm not able to click it again. I read that this might be the problem with the template, but I'm not able to figure it out.

I'm using a jl_brezz_free template (http://demo.joomlead.com/brezz/). The third question stands for a theory one. Is it possible to lock maps for certain user? Let say I have 10 maps for upload and 10 users, but I would like to make that one of the registered user (let say user 1) can upload only in to map 2?

Thanks,

Nejc
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Will try to help.
Layouts
First do you still have the original layouts? Or did you edit them directly?

I presume it is  one of the Files layouts that you modified.  Have you tried one of the other files layouts as a check.
You could export your troublesome layout see
http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/import-and-export-of-layouts-and-css-files
then put it in a zip and add it to a post.   The place holder that generates the download button is {url_download} so maybe you missed it out?

Missing tabs
Quotemove between the tabs (category and files), the previous one dissappears
Is this from the front end or the backend?
You might like to look at
http://www.jdownloads.com/forum/index.php?topic=9021
Which was traced to a template fault.  Essentially it seems that once a tab has been viewed it gets a css of display:none;
If you send me site details by PM I will look, will need super user to properly check.

Selecting Downloads
QuoteLet say I have 10 maps for upload and 10 users, but I would like to make that one of the registered user (let say user 1) can upload only in to map 2?
This can be done by the Joomla! permissions and View Access levels.  In essence your user 1 would belong to say usergroup UG1
and the downloads permissions on 'map 2' would only allow downloading by UG1.  If you have not ventured into Joomla! permisions previously I suggest you look at
http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/category/access-controls-and-user-group-permissions

Any user group yuo create is best if you set itsparent to Registered and until you are very, very familiar with the permissions never set any permission to Deny as there are likely to be unintended consequences due to the way permissions are inherited.

Colin
PS it would be better for us, and other users, if you could report each problem/challenge separately please. Thanks
Colin M
  •  

NejcT

Thank you Colin, much appreciated!
I hate to say but I messed it now big time. In meantime I uninstalled and reinstalled jdownloads (hoping it will reset the layout forms) but it just got me more problems. On installation panel I got several errors like
"Error! Upload directory /jdownloads could not be created.
You need to create the upload directory manually using your server control panel or a suitable FTP client.
Permissions for the upload directory need to be the Joomla standard 0755, otherwise jDownloads will not run.
See documentation Centre for more details on changing permissions."
It was working before without changing any permissions.
Any ideas? If I make all this folders manually, than some other users will be able to upload and download their items? Also, my host does not allow me to change permissions in the folders on my ftp.

Sorry for a mess,
Nejc
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Sorry to hear you have a worse problem.  Basically sounds to me as if you have an ultra cheap web host. This could be a significant waste of your time.  To try things out you could use one of the Joomla! test sites.
There are also plenty of sites at a low cost some of whom offer a trial period. My hosting service works out at about £30/year
Colin
Colin M
  •  

NejcT

Dear Colin,
The server is operated by national internet provider, so I belive it is not a problem of the cheap server, and I'm only the website maker for the users, so I have limited data to work with. Anyway, I managed to change the permissions on ftp (chmod 755) as jdownloads asked me, but the extension is still not able to publish any new category in the jdownloads backend and claiming:
"Categories folder not found, so it is not possible to publish this category: %s."

Before re-install everything except the download button was working fine, now it doesn't work at all. In between the install, I didn't change anything, just uninstall (including tables and folders) and re-install it again with the .zip folder downloaded from your website.

I also tried to do manually as it writes on error (make a folder and put it on the ftp using ftp client) but the next step is that jdownloads writes a message: Copy failed: wwwroot/httpdocs/folder_name/index.html.

I really don't know what else to do...
  •  

ColinM

Hi
A couple of things come to mind - obviously this is not normal happenings. 
Please look at Config - Downloads. This has references to several directories all of which need to be writable. 

I suspect that for some reason the uninstall follow up did not work properly.  Presume you are using jd v46. Please see
http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/how-to-uninstall-all-of-jdownloads
which should assist in complete removal process.  But if there were directory and/or file permission problems maybe that was the 'challenge'

Also the first item in field 'Upload directory path' of Config - Downloads should have a reference like
/home/your site reference name/public_html/jdownloads where typically 'your site reference name' is the user name you would use in ftp.
Also you could PM me super admin details and install the eXtplorer component to examine the file system.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

NejcT

Thank you Colin!

Will try the advised options and will report if I will be able resolve the problem.

Thanks for the help!.
Nejc
  •  

NejcT

Dear Colin,
As you suspected, in the configuration/download section there is a problem. All the paths seems to be allright and are showing to the folders as they should be. But on the side, the status is NOT WRITABLE.
Do you maybe know how to change this permissions?

Thank you,

Nejc

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

Arno

Hi,
some servers need chmod 777 to make it writable. So you should try it for the main folder jdownloads and the first sub category level. Some servers need this settings.

Check also please who is the owner from this folders.
Normally created the script for you all required folders with chmod 755. But this is only possible when the script has the permissions to do it. 

For me is this a pure server problem.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

ColinM

Hi
The directories you show in the screen dump do not look right to me!  They look as if they have been the result of working on a local pc or similar and then the site having been transferred to a regular web server.

Please look in Joomla Global Config - System tab and look at field "Path to Log Folder". That usually looks something like
/home/<site-specific>/public_html/log. 
Also should be same in field Path to Temp Folder in tab Server except ending in tmp rather than log.
You need to set the jDownloads ones to the same except ending in jdownloads eg /home/<site-specific>/public_html/jdownloads

Colin
Colin M
  •