News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Allowed maximum size: 5120 KB - how to change it

Started by ela, 07.07.2015 19:53:53

Previous topic - Next topic

ela

hi, I have jDownloads Version 3.2.26 beta.
I can't upload bigger files, message is: Allowed maximum size: 5120 KB
How to change it? please, help :)
  •  

ColinM

Hi
The maximum file upload size is not set in jDownloads but is a function of the php setup that your host provides.  There are two items that need changing upload_max_filesize and post_max_size = 25M

; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files.
upload_max_filesize = 20M
; Must be greater than upload_max_filesize
post_max_size = 25M

On many servers you can put the above in a file called php.ini in the root of your site. When you start the site if your host allows it will pick up your php.ini file and all will be fine.  But many hosts do not allow this.
So the first port of call is to ask your hosting service the best way of setting higher values.  If you are using a shared system the answer will probably be something like 'No' but put much more politely!

You may also be able to find all the php settings by creating a file in the root  of your Joomla system, often this is  the public_html directory, called say show.php that contains the following single line of code:
<?php     phpinfo(); ?>

In your browser go to to http://yoursite.com/show.php, where your.com is your web site's domain name. This will result in showng the information about your PHP setup - there is a lot of it!.
Do not leave the show.php file on your site because if a hacker can see all that info then they may exploit it!!  That is why some hosts no longer enable the phpinfo() function.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

ela

hi, Colin :) the allowed maximum files sizes are changing according to user groups settings. super user can upload big files and manager can't. Why?
  •  

ColinM

Whoopps - I forgot the obvious and told you the more difficult situation.  Hmm! ::) ::)

If you go to Users Groups Settings the in the Group Creation/Editing Settings tab on right hand side each user group has the field "Maximum File Size in KB:"  where you can set the size.  I should have recognised the 5120 as it is the usual default size.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

Arno

QuoteI have jDownloads Version 3.2.26 beta
Please update very soon to the last version 3.2.34 !!!
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

ela

hi, Guys, thanks for replies :)
I can't see option "Maximum File Size in KB:" on the right hand side(attatched file).
how can I update the extension? I don't want to loose uploaded files and categories :).

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

ColinM

Hi
It is per user group so you click on the user group who will be allowed to upload. This will open up the details section for that UG It is best to create a user group or groups (UGs) who have registered as their parent.  I usually call the UG a name like Uploader.
The article http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/introduction-to-user-group-settings may help.   Note the large number of options in which questions you want the Uploader to be asked.  Do not forget to select Main File to be asked.

There are a whole host of articles covering a variety of topics that will hopefully give you a clue about what will work, but if in doubt please ask.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

ela

Hi, Colin, thanks for help :), I found it finally :)
Best regards,
Ela
  •  

Arno

Hi Ela,
Quotehow can I update the extension? I don't want to loose uploaded files and categories
You must not deinstall jDownloads. So nothing will be lost. Use the update function in your Joomla extension manager or download the newest version from my site here:
http://www.jdownloads.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=133&view=view.download&catid=43&cid=337
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •