News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Automatic cleanup of uploaded files?

Started by Stavros, 12.02.2016 10:13:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Stavros

Since we've installed jDownloads, we've been adding, removing and updating files. 

The end result is that while we have 184 active download files, the "Upload directory" contains 451 files. The 267 extra files are old and obsolete files.

Is there a way for jDownloads to automatically delete all "unlinked" files from the "Upload directory"?

In the tools there are two buttons for "Clean up the images folder" and for "Clean up the preview files folder" but they are only for the screenshots, thumbnails, and preview files. Is there something similar for the uploaded files?

Thank you
Stavros Zacharias
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I do not think there is such a tool.  It is a good idea and would be useful to others so I will move this topic to Suggestions.

When you say the "Upload directory" do you mean the various Categories ( directories) into which you have assigned dfiles?
Colin
Colin M
  •  

Stavros

Hello Collin,

I mean the directory set at the "jDownloads --> Configuration --> Upload directory path" into which files are uploaded and from which files are downloaded.

There is the "Delete images from deleted Downloads?" option, which we have it at "Yes", yet obsolete files did accumulate. We had it at "Yes" since the installation of jDownloads.

I ran a test whether this option may not be working when deleting a download or when updating a download with a new file.
Well, ... it actually works. When deleting a download, the corresponding file is deleted. When updating a download with a new file, the previous file is deleted. Therefore it is weird how all those obsolete files (unlinked to any download) accumulated.

It would be nice to have an extra button which would clean up such weird situations, or when someone who initially had the "Delete images from deleted Downloads?" option to "No" has changed his mind and wants to remove all obsolete files.

Thank You,
Stavros Zacharias
  •