News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Strange permission problem after update to Joomla 3.4.1 & jD 3.2.28 [Solved]

Started by sympleman, 26.03.2015 20:17:39

Previous topic - Next topic

sympleman

After updating from Joomla 2.5.28 & jD 1.9.28 TO Joomla 3.4.1 & jD 3.2.28 I'm experiencing some strange permission problems.

1) I have all jDownloads Global Config permissions for Registered Users set to Allow (Create, Edit Own & Download) but registered users still can't Download Until--

2) I manually go to every jDownload Category (NOTE: All Inherited and to right it states Not Allowed), go to permissions, select (Registered) and set (Download) to (Allow) then save. After saving (Create, Edit Own & Download) are now displaying (Allowed) just as it should based on Global Config settings. I then change (Downloads) back to (Inherited) in permissions then save and it holds the correct (Allowed) permissions that are set in Global Config.

3) I then have to manually go to the every Download (NOTE: All Inherited and to right it states Not Allowed) and just save and all correct Download permissions are changed to (Allowed).

It will take me forever to do this process one by one.

Your support and time is greatly appreciated!
  •  

Arno

Hi sympleman,
Colin had yesterday contacted and informed me about your problem. He had asked me for help so i had then solved it in your backend.
After this point had all categories and downloads the correct 'inherited' settings. This worked fine with the early defined component permission settings (create, edit own, and download for registered user group).

I have tested the result for some categories and downloads and all was correct to this time.

Quote3) I then have to manually go to the every Download (NOTE: All Inherited and to right it states Not Allowed) and just save and all correct Download permissions are changed to (Allowed).

It will take me forever to do this process one by one.
It is not required to do this!

Note:
It is not a good idea to contact us at first via PM. As result have we now some trouble. Every problem must be publicly reported first. Then we can discuss this and can search together solutions.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

sympleman

Hi sympleman,
Colin had yesterday contacted and informed me about your problem. He had asked me for help so i had then solved it in your backend.
After this point had all categories and downloads the correct 'inherited' settings. This worked fine with the early defined component permission settings (create, edit own, and download for registered user group).

I have tested the result for some categories and downloads and all was correct to this time.

Sorry for the confusion Arno.  Everything is working fine thanks to you and Colin. I reported this in the forum only because I was ask to so the problem and solution would be posted publicly and will hopefully help others.  You just beat Colin to the reply.  He was planning on answering my thread with the solution and will update documentation with the fix. So for all with this problem stay tuned as a fix will be posted.

Note:
It is not a good idea to contact us at first via PM. As result have we now some trouble. Every problem must be publicly reported first. Then we can discuss this and can search together solutions.

Sorry again but I read a couple other threads that contained a very similar problem but no solution posted.  It was all taken care of on your end via PM & back end access then simply reporting that is was fixed. These threads were [SOLVED] and I decided not to post ANOTHER new very similar thread when there was no solution given to others. So that is why I decided to PM Colin. Sorry again if that was the wrong thing to do. I will post new threads moving forward.

I can't thank you enough for this awesome free extension and the support that you and your team gives.  Second to none!  I will be donating tonight and really appreciate your efforts!

EDIT:  Is it OK to install 3.2.30 update as I see you only updated to 3.2.29 on my site?

Thanks again,

Sympleman
  •  

ColinM

Hi
There is now a general solution to the problem which is straight forward to do.  It makes use of enhanced software in jD Tools.

I have been busy updating the documentation to explain how to solve this problem.  Please see "Permissions problems after migration to new series" -  http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/permissions-problems-after-migration-to-new-series.

Have also added note
Quote"Very occasionally the Joomla! permissions are not set up correctly, specifically they do not 'cascade' properly and result in failures to download and/or to upload.  It seems to be related to the way categories and Downloads were created/edited/deleted in the jD1.9.x series.  If this happens then see article Permissions problems after migration to new series"
in How to upgrade jDownloads component from 1.9.2.11 to latest 3.x version?"  http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/how-to-upgrade-jdownloads-component-from-1-9-x-to-latest-3-x-version

Colin
PS  It is all fixed and normal so you can update as normal.
Colin M
  •