News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Module showing list of articles

Started by Gerrit, 17.01.2016 18:16:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerrit

Hi,

I'm using Jdownloads but now client wants a list with articletitles on the homepage of his website.
Once a title is clicked, there should open a login form and once filled in the login details, the article must be visible..

Does something excists in Jdownloads?

Thank you in advance! Kind regards
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I am not familiar with version 1.9.2 but there are multple options to have a visible list of downloads on any page.  Pleae note that Version 1.9.2 is no longer supported so I would strongly advise you migrate to the latest jD version. There iss documentation that givess a step by step guide.

In jD3.2 if you wanted to show a fixed set of Downloads then youu can use the Content plugin in an article. There are modules to show the most recently donloaded, the most popular Downloads, the most recently uploaded Downloads and so on.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

Gerrit

Hi, Thank you for your answer.. Meanwhile I red all the steps to migrate from the 1.9.x version to the latest and migrated succesfully to that latest version..

Now I want to start creating that list of articles.. Can you please tell me what plugin I need to use? How does it work?
How do I get a module with a few titles of articles that are password protected.. So when user clicks on it, he needs to fill in his username and password and then see the file...

Thank you in advance!
Kind regards
  •  

ColinM

Hi Gerrit
Glad the migration went well.  All the jD Plugins and Modules will have been installed for you during the migration.  Also on any updating of jD 3.2 series.

If you want a specific set of Downloads to be shown in an article the use the jDownloads Content plugin. As a start point please see the set of articles in
http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/category/modules-and-plugins

Obviously you need to publish the items.  Are you familiar with the Joomla! Access and Permissions set up as that is one area that people find a little challenging initially.  Again there are several articles which might help.

If you get a problem then please come back.  One thing is ensure you create a jD menu item of type List All Categories" as it gets used to determine links and so on.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

Gerrit

Colin, thnx for your reply!
Indeed, i noticed that the modules are installed with the upgrade!
Actually I used the JDownloads Last Updated Module..

Now my only problem left is that the downloads shown in this module must be password protected.. BUT Still visible on the front end.. (When clicking on it, there should be a login form)..

Any idea how i can get this?

Thank you in advance!
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Do you mean an individual password for each Download or do you mean that users must be registered before they can download?
Both are possible.

In order to see a Download in a list the view  Access of its Containing Category chain and the Download itself needs Public view Access
To control which User Groups can Download then one sets the Download Permission.  There are several articles on this as a start point.

Each Download may have its own individual password.  This is set in the Additional data section. When it is asked to download such a Download that has a non blank password then jD will automatically ask for it as illustrated in the attached pic.

Note if you are creating/editing Downloads from the front end then you need to select which fields are shown to 'uploaders' to fill in the User Groups Settings.  Note the ranking level as described in the documentation.

Colin

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Colin M
  •  

Gerrit

Hi Colin, 
Thanxs again for your answer! Yes All files must be protected with a password but the user only have to put in his password one time..

So.. Filenames visible for everybody in front-end but when clicking on one file.. --> Fill in password --> see all files and be able to download all the files without entering each time the password..

can you tell me how to do? 

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards

Gerrit
  •  

ColinM

Hi
You are asking for a mixture of the two methods!  Let me explain a bit more.

Each Download can have its own password but that means the password will be asked each time. That is because each Download could have a separate password.  So I do not thing you want that scheme.

What I think you want is that all downloads are Publicly visible and that if a user clicks on a Download button then the user is asked for their personal password, and after logging in they are able to download as many items as they want in that session.

That is the user needs to have a Joomla! password and be in the Registered Users Group.  Whether you choose to have a password scheme that means initially you manually creating the user or it is done automatically is a Joomla! action.  The following article might help
https://docs.joomla.org/Setting_user_registration_policy
There are also various extensions that set up login but require an email confirmation.

Clearly once a user has a login there is no problem on that score.

Next  allowing all users to see Downloads in the lists you need to ensure that all your top level jD categories are created with Public  view Access.  This is the default, so one just leaves the Acces field alone.  Creating sub cats and Downloads will take the view Access  from their parent if you do not change the Access when creating them.  Further if you are creating Downloads from the Frontend then you can set the 'uploaders' User Groups Settings so that the 'Access' question is not asked, which means those Downloads will automatically take their view Access from their parent.

Next to ensure that only people who are Registered can download the the Download Permissions on the top level Categories need to be set so that Registered UG is Allowed - you must save after changing a Permission for it to take effect.  You Also need to set the Public UG permission for each top level Cat to Inherited  - do NOT use deny as everyone is also an implicit member of the Public UG and if any UG to which a user belongs has Deny then that overrides anything else (it is this aspect of Joomla! permissions that in my view causes most problems!).

We are not yet finished as probably the jD Component permissions have been set up as Allow Downloading in the Public UG. So go to jD Control page and click on Options in the Tool Bar. Look at the Public UG and you may see it as Allowed, so set it to Inherit and then save.  Re-check after the save to see it is ok.

As a check that all is well go to one of you Downloads and look at is Permissions. Those in the Public UG should be Inherited with a calculated permission of Not Allowed; those in the Registered UG should have Download as inherited and calculated as Allowed.  If that is not the case then work back up the sub category chain until you find one that has the problem.  Always check both Public and Registered UGs.

What should happen now is when a non logged in user clicks on a Download they get taken to the login page automatically, and if you set up the Joomla! part it can take you back to where it came from.

Colin
Colin M
  •