News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Preview part of a pdf

Started by minhtuchael033, 19.07.2018 04:26:55

Previous topic - Next topic

minhtuchael033

Hi, I just started to use jDownloads for managing free and paid downloads of PDF files. I'm very satisfied so far with the quality of the product, however there is one point where I have not found a way to do so far: for PDF files that are to be sold, I would like to offer a preview, i.e. a few pages of the full document so that users have a better idea of the PDF file before paying for it.

I uploaded these preview PDF files through "Select Preview File" on the "Edit Download" page, but they do not show up anywhere. I would have expected to find a "Preview" link or button next to the "Download" button in the frontend, but  that's not the case. Any suggestion?

EDIT: changed title to be more meaningful  - please please do not use title such as 'please help' as that is not good for others with the same or a similar problem!!
  •  

ColinM

Hi
The Preview files are only for Audio or Video but I can understand that is not obvious.  Having a preview for a long pdf is a good idea so could you please add it to the suggestions Topics.  It would obviously have to be a separate 'preview file'

A temporary wok around is that one can have multiple images associated with a Download.  So for example you could make images of  a few pages and in the description  text indicate these as sample pages.  These appear on the screen as thumbnails that the user clicks to enlarge. You will need to add to the Files Layout to show multiple images and I can help you edit the layout for that if you think it would suffice for the present.  There can be up to 10 images associaed with a Download.

See the articles about layouts, especially editting, in
http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/category/editing-layouts
Another alternative is to make a separate Download with the same title as the paid one but with say -(preview) added to the title name.  Setting the Downloads listing to Alpha or Reverse Alpha would ensure they are sequential but personally I think the 'images' solution maybe easier for the user.
Colin

Colin
Colin M
  •