News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Dropboxlink funktioniert nicht mehr [Not a Bug}

Started by TomTau, 10.07.2018 12:25:32

Previous topic - Next topic

TomTau

Thank you for your work and time.

That sounds like a quick fix ;-)

Greetings!
Tom
  •  

ColinM

Tom
Having set up my own Dropbox and found a solution to avoid the error message I have now found out how to get rid of the strange extension.

So instead of using the regular Dropbox link such as [note I have corrupted the actual link so that they do not get to my DropBox}
https://www.dropbox.com/s/irxxxxx6w/Helen0%201.pdf?dl=1
or as
https://www.dropbox.com/s/irxxxxxx6w/Helen0%201.pdf?raw=1

One replaces www.dropbox.com with dl.dropboxusercontent.com and omits the ?dl=1 or ?raw=1Thus in the example I was using the external link field was set to
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/irxxxxx6w/Helen0%201.pdf
This then, if saved, creates a file 'Helen0 1.pdf' as woild be hoped.

If the field "Is the main file on an external web page?" is set to yes then  I am asked to view or save on a new Tab. If you set it to No then it displays the pdf directly on the same Tab.

Have tried with Firefox, Edge and Chrome.  All ok but some usual differences between browsers.

I will be contacting Arno to get him to check out my code as he has a very much better overview.

I expect to shortly send you a beta test version by PM for your test site only.

Colin
EDITED to hide actual links to drop box
Colin M
  •  

TomTau

Hello Colin,

a very pleasant response!!!

It works fine!
I replace www.dropbox.com with dl.dropboxusercontent.com and delete "?raw=1".

Also "save under" is correct.
Wonderfully!

I have tested with Safari (iOS), Edge and Chrome (Windows 10).

I will also test the beta version from PM...

Greetings!
Tom
  •  

ColinM

Tom
Just for clarity could you confirm that when you replaced www.dropbox.com with dl.dropboxusercontent.com and deleted "?raw=1" then the existing code worked?For me I got an error message because the Download did not conform to category etc structure.  The revised code is to avoid the error message when it is an external file.  But it seems that you do not get that message with the original code.
This suggests that I have a different setup to yours. I can then compare your cofiguration setup with mine.  Alternatively if you are able to access your database could you export jD table <prefix>_jdownloads_config as a csv file, put it in a zip and send to me by PM please.
If you do not have that access then use jD Tools - Backup to create a jD Database backup and send the file, also as a zip, to me by PM.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

TomTau

Hello Colin,

yes, the existing code (3.2.62) works fine.

I will send you the database by PM.

Greetings!
Tom
  •  

Arno

Hi Guys,please note that the normal link with ?raw=1 or ?dl=0 does work when you activate the additional options under the external link. See pic.
The only difference is that it is open a new browser window or the link goes to the dropbox with the file. Sad to say but it is not possible for me to add for every sharehoster special download procedures. But Colins solution is also very fine.  8) :)

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I have constructed a table of the use of various Dropbox links and interaction please see attached pic.  Will be part of a new doc on external files
Colin

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Colin M
  •  

TomTau

Thank you Colin for the table!!!

This is a great help for dropbox-users!

Greetings!
Tom
  •  

justhuan

Please make a Donation for jDownloads, thanks.
  •  

justhuan

•  

ColinM

Hi
I have added an article in the documentation about this problem.  It is not a bug. Please seehttp://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/downloads-with-an-external-file
ColinPS I will move this topic to General
Colin M
  •  

Sheily

Substituting characters might be happening due to settings in that location.   :)
  •