News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

cron or monitoring only for certain categories or subfolders?

Started by Rockthisparty, 13.06.2018 18:57:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockthisparty

Hi!

I'm absolutely new to jD, so please don't hit me  :-\ when this is a stupid question ... I've tried to search but did not find a matching answer.

• I have a lot of existing subfolder of my main jD main folder.
  • When I activate "Check Download area now." or "automonitorin" I get a lot of unwanted downloads and categories.
  • I only want to use some of the folders for member-downloads.
  • On the other hand it would be a lot of work to add files manually.

• So: Is there any possibility to monitor / check only those subfolders with existing categories?
Thank you very much,Stefan
  •  

ColinM

Stefan, Not a stupid question at all!
But I do not quite understand. First let me explain a little.  You may aredy understand the following but I have included it just in case.
As you probably know the basic structure of jD are that files are stored in  directories together with a database.  A Download consists of various items of information in the database such as the Download Name, the file name, descriptions, price, images and so on, and of course the downloadable file. A Category is a directory and also some information and details stored in the database.
The monitoring system always looks at all the directories and files from the root directory, normally called jdownloads and situated in the Joomla!  root diectory.  If it finds a directory in the tree that does not have a matching Category entry in the database then it will create one.  Similarly if it finds a file in a directory that does not have a corresponding Download in the database then it creates a new Download. 

Quite often when there are a lot of files to upload this is done by using an ftp program such as FileZilla.  However before doing that I would recommend that the jD Config - Monitoring tab field 'Download Directory Monitoring?" is set to No.  This is to avoid a 'race' condition where you are part way through uploading and an auto monitoring sequence is triggered by some other event. Whilst looking at the Monitoring tab also check out the other fields.So when you have uploaded the relevant directories and files one goes to the jD Control panel and clicks on 'Check Download Area now'. This is in the Status tab of the control panel.
What I do not understand is when you say
QuoteWhen I activate "Check Download area now." or "automonitorin" I get a lot of unwanted downloads and categories.
Why have those directories and files been placed in the jD 'tree' if you do not want them?
If they are truely unwanted then you need to use jD to remove them.  If you delete them directly you will leave a mess in the database.  First use Dowloads page to delete the actual Download entries. Also before deleting check the settings of jD Config - Downloads tab - fields 'Delete images from deleted Downloads?' and 'Delete preview files from any deleted Download?'.Often the easiest route is to filter the Categories concerned in the Downloads page.  Then you can delete the relevant Category.
However this might not be what you mean. If I have misunderstood could you please explain a little further pleaseColin

Colin M
  •  

Rockthisparty

Hi Colin,

thanks for your answer. I'll try to explain:

- I have changed the jD root directory to an existing directory.
- In that directory are about 15 subdirectories with a lot of files.
- I only need about 4 of that subdirs and theirs files and subdirs treated with jD.
- I cannot move those files because they are linked in several other Joomla articels. So those links would be broken.
- My only idea is to copy the files and change the links gradually over a longer time or keep them up-to-date in both places  :-\

Any ideas? Thank your very much,
Stefan
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I see your challenge - not a good place to start from!! :(  To make it worse I guess the sub directories you want to use for jD are 'scattered and not in a single tree.
So as an initial reaction you could set some categories as unpublished but that again depends on the actual directory structure.Perhaps you could send me a Private Message with super admin access so I could use say eXtplorer to look and advise.  You would need to let me know which are the important categories.
If there are existing links in articles then you could use the jD content plugin. See
http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/using-the-content-plugin-in-articles-and-modules
ColinPS to send PM click on whitish square with a tail near my name
Colin M
  •  

Rockthisparty

Yes, the subdirectories aren't in a single tree ... otherwise it would be easy  ;)
I'll think about the options try some things for my own. Perhaps it will be the best way to do an auto search & replace with php oder sql in the database to change the existing links.

As far as I understand, there is no way to replace existing links in the artikels automatically, right?
Thank you very much for your help!
  •  

ColinM

Hi
You are right there is no way to automatically replace existing links in articles.I would hesitate to do tis by chaging the links in the database tables.Although it does not sound exciting in the long run it is probably better to do the job manually  or to reorgabise yor file structure yes boring and time consuming but much more resilient in the long term and far far easier to maintain.Colin
Colin M
  •  

Arno

Hi,
maybe should we add more configuration options for the  monitoring/scan function.
Possible could be an include and exclude list from directory names. But we can only add this in the new 3.8 version.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Rockthisparty

That would be absolutely great!  ;D
Is there a schedule for 3.8?
In the meantime I could work with unpublishing unwanted categories/ subdirectories.
Please let me know, if I can help testing!
  •  

Arno

QuoteIs there a schedule for 3.8?
Not really. In the moment exist only a alpha release. Maybe a beta in the last quarter this year.
Below a pic from the new scan options. Here could we add the new option from above. Also a new 'test run' option could be useful.

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Rockthisparty

Very, very good! :-)
Even the "Search only for new files"-Option would be an advance for me!
  •