News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

GDPR

Started by jwols, 15.05.2018 22:34:59

Previous topic - Next topic

jwols

I use the logging function in jdownloads.
There the ip address is logged.

I intend to stop the logging but wonder if the counting of downloads is also stopped.
Because of the GDPR I want to change things.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
The IP address does not give personal details, the nearest to personal details is that it gives the area or city, such as Manchester, England, UK.
If there is a single computer on that IP, then it is the IP address linked to the computer. If the computer is connected to a router, then it is the IP address of the router.  There is no such thing as an Internet directory giving namer and addresses. It is not like the landline phone system with a phone directory or you could call an operator and try to match a name and street address to a telephone number. If you are using a public WiFi connection, in a cafe for example, then it is the IP of the wireless Router

So there is no GDPR concern over over jD storiing the IP address.  If you want to see what your IP reveals then try a site like
https://whatismyipaddress.com/

The next release of Joomla (3.9) is aimed at GDPR so I suggest you check out that first
https://www.joomla.org/announcements/release-news/5731-joomla-3-9-and-joomla-3-10.html
Colin
Colin M
  •  

jwols

Hi Colin, thanks for your quick reply and the link to joomla 3.9 features.

For me there is no reason to have ip numbers, so the question remains if the counting of downloads is also stopped when I stop the logging.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
The logging function is used for multiple purposes and is needed if you want to use some facilities such as for example limiting the number of Downloads (as set up in User Groups Settings) that someone can download or you want to ban someone. 
It is not used in the count of Downloads in a Category. 
IP address is not oa GDPR related item.
Colin
Colin M
  •