News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Protectiong downloads folder from http access

Started by gigowattfilm, 22.04.2018 15:15:30

Previous topic - Next topic

gigowattfilm

Hello

I would like to prevent people to access file through http.

I tried the .htaccess route and also this : http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/how-can-i-protect-my-download-folders
But alas, I'm using HTML5 to be able to preview the files ans it breaks the preview "Important: If you use HTML Elements or Flowplayer to preview media files, or you have deactivated the option you must set this protection option to No.".

Is there a way to protect the files while keeping the preview ?
Thank you !
  •  

gigowattfilm

I'm sorry. I'm just upping the post a bit since I havn't found any answer yet.
  •  

Arno

Hi,
the hints in the documentation and  the settings are correct. So you cannot use both.
But normally it is not required to protect the download folder additional when the option: Indexes is deactivated (see your documentation link).

Another way could be to store the preview files in another folder (outside the jD folder) and add the player (via a plugin placeholder) manually in the Downloads description.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

ColinM

Hi
With Joomla! 3 the default .htaccess file has the line
Options -Indexes
in it.  If you check on you site that ot does have that line (and not commented out!) then you are protected.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

gigowattfilm

Hello
I went and found my .htaccess at the root of my www folder. It is not like the other .htaccess and I cannot find the parameters (I attached it). If you would be so kind to help me there.

My goal is to prevent access to the file by typing he right target in a browser.
When I enable the protect download or edit the .htacces on the jdwnloads directory, I loose the preview.
Thank you for your help.

Modified to remove htaccess.txt file (after I had down loaded it) as it could be usefull to hackers Colin
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I have checked your htaccess.txt file
It has the
Options -Indexes
statement in it. So it is protecting your site
Assume you have it in your website root named as .htaccess If not rename it as .htaccess

You might need to use FileZilla or another FTP to see the file as some web sites eg the popular Cpanel ones do not show it in thier file manager.

If you edit .htaccess the do so with Notepad++ and make Notepad++ your default editor in FileZilla or whatever ftp program you use.

To send me any similar info please use the PM method rather than a forum question

Please let us know if you need more help

Colin
Colin M
  •