News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Update a download with a newer file with same name

Started by davidgal, 03.04.2018 10:14:13

Previous topic - Next topic

davidgal

Hi, I'm new to jDownloads and am struggling to work out how I can replace a file in an existing download with a newer file with the same name but with different size and date stamp.

I just SFTP'd the new files into the directory. Downloads work and the new file is delivered but file metadata has not updated in the download record.

What is the correct way to do this?

Thanks,
David
  •  

ColinM

Hi,
As youhave found, using FTP to replace the file itself is not a good idea!
As background a Download consists of various information and the file to be downloaded.  In principle the Title of the Download is not related to the name of the file, but the default action is that the Title is set to the name of the file.

I try to refer to the whole as a Download with a capital D to distinguish from a download action.
So to replace a file in a Download in either the Front End or the Backend you need to 'edit' the Download In the Backend one just clicks on the title of the Download. In the Front End if you have edit capability then the usual edit symbol appears.  In either case go to the Files tab.  There you will see a red cross against the file name.  This allows you to delete the file part. Probably best to do a Save at this point.  Then you can upload the new file.
Note if you want the Download to be marked as Updated then you need to set the modified date field - presently not done automatically

Colin
Colin M
  •  

davidgal

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Problem solved.
  •