News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Can i select a file from online folder?

Started by hyrius, 07.03.2018 18:38:00

Previous topic - Next topic

hyrius

Hello, all my files are already on a folder inside website, i have uploaded by ftp, why i can only "upload" a file? Can i select a file directly from a directory?
  •  

ColinM

Hi
The basic answer is yes.
Just for clarity the jD root directory is normally called jdownloads and this is sited in your Joomla root directory.  You can see this in the jD config Downloads tab as the root directory - it should show all the directories as writable.
Please do not be tempted to change the root directory it may seem a good idea but it can cause unexpected things!

Before doing anything else go to jD Config - Monitoring tab and ensure that field Download Directory Monitoring is set to No

The jD categories are sub-directories in the jD root file. The downloadable files are the contents of the these directories PLUS relevant data base entries.  The top level categories are the first set of sub-directories and so on.

If you have a very large number of files then because of server time limits then limit the number of file and directories to be processed to say 500 at a time.  A sensible way  with a large number is to use jD Categories page in the backend to create the top levels and if appropriate some of the sub-level Categories.

Copy the relevant files and directories into the appropriate jdownloads sub directories using your host website file manager (eg CPanel).

When you have finished then go to the jD control panel and click on the 'check downloads area now' on the status tab of the righthand panel

Colin
Colin M
  •