News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Access rights for Downloads

Started by Skeeve, 05.12.2017 09:18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeve

Hi everybody,
on my site I want special groups to see and be able to download different files. If somebody of the group that has no access right to the file, then he should not see the download link and in any case he (or her) should not be able to download the file.
Right now everybody is able to download the files but only registered users (as customers) who logged in shall be able to download.
I have created a group "customer" (in the screenshot below it says "Kunde" as it is a German site) who shall be able to download files (product data sheets of our products). I linked the "Download" to customer and also the layout to customer but still everybody (guest) can see the download button and download the file.
What am I doing wrong? Where is the difference between Categories and Access Rights?
I attached the relevant pages below.
Thanks for your help

Stefan

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Everything you want to do is possible.  The Joomla! permissions and access can be confusing initially.  Permissions give you the  User Group (UG) the right to do something such as Download.  The view Access gives a User Group or user groups the abilty to see something.
Please look at the many articles in the jD documentation on this area.

Briefly create a user group in Joomla! with Registered as its parent  called say Customer_UG.
Now suppose the Downloads you want that user group are in jD Category called Customer-Downloads. Look at the Permissions for this category and select UG Customer_UG.  Now set the Download Permission for that UG as Allowed, then Save.
NEVER use DENY permission.

Actually if you send me Login details for super user and an example setup I will check it for you
Colin

Colin M
  •  

Skeeve

Hi Colin,
I think I did everything right from the beginning (as you also describe it). It still does not work. I sent you a message with the login details yesterday and again today as I did not find my message. Please confirm that you got the messages or otherwise please tell me how to send you the details.
Kind regards,

Stefan
  •