News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Creating thumbnails

Started by mernst, 17.10.2017 23:40:54

Previous topic - Next topic

mernst

How can I recreate downloadable previews of files?
It is created if I upload it to the server, but do I have the ability to create it again?
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I am not sure I quite understand what you need.  :(

If dealing with an image file that is to be down loaded jD will, with appropriate configuration settings, automatically create a so called 'screenshot' and a 'thumbnail image of the main picture.  This allows previewing the downloadable image.

If the downloadable file is a video video or a sound file  you can add a separate, probably shorter, file as a preview or jD can make the actual video or audio file its own preview.

There is no specific preview for other 'text' type files such as pdf, doc or similar.  The imagemagick preview of  the front page of a pdf file is generally rather disappointing in my view unless that front page is essentially a picture itself.

Generally with these type of files the best way is to add to the description but that is a manual operation.  Alternatively you could create a picture of part of the 'text' file and upload that as an image  as a screenshot and associate it with the Download.

If you could clarify for me,perhaps with an example, I might be able to advise you further.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

mernst

I'm talking specifically about previewing a PDF file.
When I upload the file, created a screenshot and its thumbnail.
Then I can not change the screenshot type (png, gif, jpg) or resize it.
Can I be able to generate this screenshot so I do not have to upload the file again?
The same case is if the creation of the screenshot was disabled when uploading the file.
Then I have to upload this file again to create a screenshot?
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Yes you can upload several images to a Download. In the backend click on the Download name and on the edit screen select Images.  Similarly from the front end

Please also look in the capabilities in the Pictures tab in Config
Colin

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Colin M
  •  

mernst

I do not want to upload the image.
I need to create a screenshot and a thumbnail on the already uploaded image
  •  

ColinM

Hi
We were discussing the image created by jD for a pdf file.  You can recreate all thumbnails to a specific size by setting that size in the Thumbnail settings part of the Pictures tab in Config and then setting the remake field to Yes. This is actioned on the Save, which will reset the remake field.

Please note jD is not a general purpose 'image editor'.  One normally does that offline using relevant software.  There may be software that will suitable edit an image stored on a web server.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

mernst

But it only generates thumbnails in "/images/jdownloads/screenshots / thumbnails /" to screensshots in "/images/jdownloads /screenshots/", the screenshot itself is not generated.
I need to re-generate screenshots in /images/jdownloads/screenshots/.
The only way I've discovered is to re-upload the same file, but that's very awkward.
Is there another way to generate these screenshots?
  •  

ColinM

Hi
You can edit an existing Download and add a screen shot you have created yourself on your PC. But there is no way in jD itself  to edit an existing screen shot as jD is not an 'image editor'.  As you no doubt know the screen shots are in location images/jdownloads/screenshots.  So you can use other utilities to edit the pictures in that location.  But make sure you use the same file name as that is in the jD database entry for individual Downloads.
Personally I find it easier to create/edit the images I want on my PC as there is better software available for image editing.

Are you comfortable using say FileZilla for file transferring between your PC and the website file system?  If so that opens up other possibilities.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

Arno

Maybe means mernst this szenario:
- the assigned files from his Downloads are images
- but the option to generate for this automatically screenshots and thumbnails was disabled
In this case it is not possible to create the screenshots and thumbnails at a later time.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •