News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Very large download fails

Started by johmat, 04.10.2017 19:14:13

Previous topic - Next topic

johmat

I have an issue with downloading very large files (400MB) when using the standard "Send Downloads using the PHP Script? " = Yes and "Protect your Download-directory?" = Yes in the configuration. I get an almost immediate "file not found" error on the server. If I change the two settings to "No" the download works fine, but then my directory is not protected, and I need it to be.

The configuration help indicates there may be a timeout error with large files, but I don't think that's the case because the error appears almost immediately. I have timeout set to 120 seconds and memory_limit = 128M.  The help text says "jDownloads normally uses a PHP Script to transmit a file". Can anyone  give me a hint where to look to see what the script is doing that might be causing the trouble?
  •  

ColinM

Hi
This could be Browser specific. Is the file a media file say an MP4 or similar? Have you set up a Preview of the downloadable file?
Most times the trouble is with uploading large files rather than downloading.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

johmat

Hi Colin, thanks for the reply.

It doesn't appear to be browser-specific; I've tried under the latest Firefox and Chrome browsers (under Windows) with the same result. The files in question are executable installers (exe) and zip archives, so there is no preview. I imagine the php script may be making a copy of the file; perhaps that's where the trouble is, since I also have trouble copying these large files using the hosting service's File Manager. I am able to upload the files using ftp, and can also archive & extract them using the hosting service's Archive Gateway. Do you have any suggestions for a work-around? Thanks
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I have tested with my XAMPP website with a 700Mbyte file.  All was OK - see pics. 
Used the local PC as it was then independent of any server.
Maybe specific to your server?

Colin
PS will also try on my server but file will take about 90minutes to upload with File Zilla!!

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Colin M
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Have now done similar with a regular web site but with a 350Mb file. All Ok
Colin

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Colin M
  •