News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Paid downloads question

Started by wolfspyryt, 01.10.2017 06:26:29

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfspyryt

I want to have some of the download files to be for sale. What components do you suggest.
I'd prefer that a user clicks download button and be taken to a shopping cart that uses PayPal. Please advise.
  •  

Arno

'Pay per Download' should be the right extension.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

wolfspyryt

•  

ColinM

Hi
The documentation on PayPerDownload is a bit out of date!  The jD plugin is automatically loaded and published with the component.
Could you advise how you get on as it might be helpful for me to write an article.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

wolfspyryt

Colin I'd be happy to help!
  •  

wolfspyryt

So far It set up with ease. The instructions, support, forums are somewhat scattered, but is somewhat straight forward.

It uses licenses that you have to put in as admin. In Essence, the Admin has to do all the file updates to make a file for sale. As I am currently OK with doing this, I would like to see that developer smooth out the process of uploading a file and it is for sale.

I am doing this by adding a "Price" in the template for the "Download Details" page that is ONLY editable by a Special Membership level (Featured Artists) that can also ONLY upload to that category as "Regular" members cannot. Then I do the back end work to finalize it for sale.

It uses PayPal; so I stopped testing gateways as PayPal works fine. Again, I wish the developer would have the option for the "Buyer" to stay on "My Website" and not to PayPal and back.

All in all it is functional and has plenty of potential.

At this Point, I wonder is thee another option?
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Thanks for update
QuoteI am doing this by adding a "Price" in the template for the "Download Details" page that is ONLY editable by a Special Membership level (Featured Artists) that can also ONLY upload to that category as "Regular" members cannot. Then I do the back end work to finalize it for sale.
I am a bit confused by the above :(   Do you mean that you cannot upload upload into a particular Category using jD?
My impression from the documentation was that after selecting the jD Plugin then one selected the Category and the Download in PayPerDownload. Is that not the case? 
Does one also have to put Price in the Download Details layout?

When I tried to set up I got into a mess setting up a PAYPAL sandbox test account! :( :( Had not done that before.

Colin
PS will try again.
Colin M
  •  

wolfspyryt

You need to add an upload in front end and edit in backend. In my opinion, it's not quite user frindly yet. I can't see a way for members to do it without admin help every upload.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Yes I think I understand.  A regular 'uploader' can upload from front end to make a new download but then someone has to access the 'PayPerDownload' component from the backend to add the price and other information - sounds a bit 'clunky'
Colin
Colin M
  •