News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

How to have the same directory for categories?

Started by belini, 12.09.2017 21:50:01

Previous topic - Next topic

belini

Hi,

I'm trying to create categories in this format:

- Category A
    - Category A1
    - Category A2
    - Category A3

I want them all to point to the same directory on the hard drive, is this possible?
I'm trying in various ways but I'm always required to create a directory for each category.

•  

Arno

Hi,
QuoteI want them all to point to the same directory on the hard drive, is this possible?
This is not possible with jDownloads.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

belini

Quote from: Arno on 13.09.2017 01:56:11
Hi,This is not possible with jDownloads.

Too bad it is not possible.

In my case the categories organize the forms downloads (.doc or .dot files) into distinct specialties, but it may happen that I have the same form in two specialties.
As each category needs to be in separate directories I will have a problem managing the update of the files, since I will have to update separately in these cases.
There are more than 10 specialties and it is difficult to remember which file is reused and in what specialty, to keep everything updated.
It does not seem to be difficult to bring this feature to jDownloads, mainly because there already exists a field called "Directory Name". The problem that jDownloads does not accept that I fill the field with the same directory already exists and in the case of being child it creates another directory under the parent automatically.
Can you tell me at what point exactly does jDownloads manage it? I'm seriously considering a hack of the code, even though I may have future upgrade issues.

•  

Arno

Hi belini,
I don't now why you must have all files in the same folder but in different categories. You are the first user in more than ten years with this wish.

But maybe is jDownloads in your case not the right extension for that what you want to do with it.
A modification would be not so easy and not planned by us. Sorry that we cannot help you here. But it exists many other download manager for Joomla.

Another way could be to rethink the structure of the categories and files.  ;)
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

belini

Quote from: Arno on 13.09.2017 16:09:00
Hi belini,
I don't now why you must have all files in the same folder but in different categories. You are the first user in more than ten years with this wish.
But maybe is jDownloads in your case not the right extension for that what you want to do with it.
A modification would be not so easy and not planned by us. Sorry that we cannot help you here. But it exists many other download manager for Joomla.
Another way could be to rethink the structure of the categories and files.  ;)

Well, what can I tell you?
Unfortunately these 10 years of experience, you had no chance to meet a case like ours, that's a pity.

My need, as I explained above, in my company we separate the files by category, because it makes more sense for our users, but it can happen that one or the other file is the same for all categories. If all files were in the same directory I could have several downloads pointing to the same file, from several categories, after all it's the same file.

This facilitates from the point of view of the user who will look for files in the category of his area, and allows the company to keep some generic files inside. Still talking about that, in maintenance I would only update one file and not several in several categories.

I may be badly accustomed, because I have used a component for a long time for Joomla that did exactly what I am asking, but now it is paid.

This is it.

•  

Arno

Okay. I understand now better. But then could you do this:
- create the required categories
- add now the Downloads for the first category
- add then the Downloads for the other category but select now the file from the first category (see pic)
- repeat it for all other Downloads   
At the result it is only required to update this (special) files in the first category.
Is that what you need?

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

belini

Quote from: Arno on 13.09.2017 20:16:37
Okay. I understand now better. But then could you do this:
- create the required categories
- add now the Downloads for the first category
- add then the Downloads for the other category but select now the file from the first category (see pic)
- repeat it for all other Downloads   
At the result it is only required to update this (special) files in the first category.
Is that what you need?

That's almost it.
But it helps a lot.
I just have to remember which parent download, I need to update.
I think this is okay.
Thank you very much

•