News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

3 questions

Started by bernhard, 25.08.2017 14:47:08

Previous topic - Next topic

bernhard

hi

i have 3 questions

is it possible to change folder-icons, depending on the rights someone has
for example green folder if he can change, red folder if he can not change anything?

is it possible to build a new category/folder in frontend?

is it possible not to create a new name for a new upload in frontend
but to use the filename?

thanks for your answers
bernhard
  •  

ColinM

Bernhard
Answers for standard jD.
Quoteis it possible to change folder-icons, depending on the rights someone has
for example green folder if he can change, red folder if he can not change anything?
There is no config setting for this but when the Downloads are listed a 'yellow pencil' symbol appears by the name to show it is editable.

Quoteis it possible to build a new category/folder in frontend?
Regret no.

Quoteis it possible not to create a new name for a new upload in frontend but to use the filename?
You can use the filename as the title when creating a new Download. This is not automatic from front end. If you upload directly by say FTP to the relevant category and then manually initiate a monitoring then the Downloads that are created will use the file name.

Colin

Colin M
  •  

bernhard

hi colin

thank you for your profound answers
although not very positiv last time

i have one more question
based on last question 2 and 3

in order to make an upload as simple as possible for other users
i'd like to manage this within joomla backend
and not use a ftp-client

in jdownloads configuration, in the upload chapter
it is written about plupload
but i can't find anything more about it
do i have to install it?
where can i use it?
where can i find documentation about it?

it would be wonderfull
if i could upload a folder by drag and drop
and jdownload would create this as a new category and new downloads
by the build-in automatic update function

is that possible?

thanks a lot and best regards
bernhard
  •  

ColinM

Bernhard,
Plupload is included within jD so is not a concern.
It would help me advise if you could give a brief description of the facilities you want from public users, front end privileged users and back end privileged users.

I would generally advise against letting general users having access to the backend to create Categories.  OK of course if a small group who  'manage' the site.
Creating Uploads form the Front End is like creating from the Backend but you can exercise much more control by using the Users Groups Settings.

jDownloads creates Downloads with much information associated with it as well as a downloadable file.
To get the upload features you want then you may need to consider a suitable uploader extension and whom is allowed to use it.  eXtplorer is popular and will give you multiple uploads and ability to create directories but it is purposefully restricted to super users because of its power.  It can be restricted to specific regions with a code change.

I can help you choose.

Colin
Colin M
  •